In 1990 we performed our last gig. Future stage appearances would only be for jam sessions, reunion happenings and the occasional newbie songwriter in need of a bass- or guitar-toting old hand.

My band wasn't exactly the kind of entertainment you'd hire for your wedding. You probably wouldn't care much about our double bass drums, hairy appearance and Ibanez tube screamers for the wedding waltz or whatever cultural demands your wedding day had to meet.

One day we decided somewhat unanimously to give up. None of us were budding rock stars and some of us had already begun to settle down. Finding time for rehearsals and hanging out in the name of bonding became increasingly difficult.

Sometimes we would throw in David Bowie covers while rehearsing, just to remind ourselves that out there, out in the big world, lived an englishman far superior in the ways of songwriting and artistry than any of us ever could hope to become.

The worn-out copy of a copy of Station To Station's last track was Wild is the Wind. In all it's easiness, it was a tough song to play right. Sometimes you need to do things because they are difficult, not because they are doable. Ironically, it wasn't even written by Bowie.

So, our last song on our last gig ever was Wild is the Wind, as David Bowie played it on the 1976 album Station To Station. Playing a cover of a cover seemed appropriate at the time, and it still does.

Wild is the Wind is arguably about a girl. We chose to say it was about music. About being a band.

In December 1990 we laid our Heavy Metal band to rest in A minor.

Wild Is The Wind
Love me, love me, love me
Say you do
Let me fly away with you
For my love is like the wind
And wild is the wind, Wild is the wind

Give me more than one caress
Satisfy this hungriness
Let the wind blow through your heart
For wild is the wind
Wild is the wind

You touch me
I hear the sound of mandolins
You kiss me
With your kiss my life begins
You're spring to me
All things to me

Don't you know, you're life itself!

Like the leaf clings to the tree
Oh my darling cling to me
For we're like creatures of the wind
And wild is the wind
Wild is the wind

And wild is the wind
Wild is the wind
Wild is the wind
Wild is the wind

Words and music by Dimitri Tiomkin and Ned Washington. Originally written for the 1957 Western movie Gunfight At The O.K. Corral.

CST Approved

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.