Wild Turkey Liqueur is a 60 proof liqueur, a combination of Kentucky honey and Wild Turkey bourbon, first produced in 1976 by distiller Jimmy Russell. Its inspiration is undoubtedly the liqueuer Drambuie. However, the taste of Kentucky bourbon is quite different from that of Scotch whisky.

Nearly as viscous as syrup, the Wild Turkey Liqueur transmits the vanilla taste of aging in the well-charred oak. The caramelized flavors from the barrels that are evident in (straight) Wild Turkey Bourbon are slightly covered by the taste of the honey. As the distillery is committed to aging its bourbon in new American oak, the spiciness that that practice imparts contributes hints of citrus to the aroma of the liqueur.

Wild Turkey Liqueur makes for a fine nightcap in winter. Its similarity to Drambuie makes it natural in variations on the Rusty Nail1.

Golden Nail or Bluegrass
  • 2 ounces scotch or bourbon (respectively)
  • 1/2 ounce Wild Turkey Liqueur
Pour liquors over cracked ice and shake.
Strain into a tumbler over fresh cracked ice.
Garnish with a twist of lemon peel.

Sometimes it seems that I spend far too much time working on drinks for friends who favor sweets. This is a pleasant nightcap that is not too sweet, almost like a cookie.

Pecan Pie (cocktail, Ouroboros)
  • 1 ounce Wild Turkey Liqueur
  • 3/4 ounce heavy cream2
  • 1/4 ounce Frangelico
Pour ingredients over cracked ice and shake.
Strain into a cocktail glass.
Garnish with a pair of toasted pecans (drop them in, hot).

1. I have never really been a fan of adulterating even blended scotch with drambuie, and don't particularly favor sweetening up the bourbon either. But the Rusty Nail is a classic drink and still has its admirers.
2. Use heavy whipping cream, pour it into a bowl and whip it lightly for a minute. This helps keep it from clumping when the alcohol hits it.

Everything Bartender

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.