William B. Davis (January 13, 1938 — ) is a Canadian actor best known to American and European audiences for his role as "The Cigarette-Smoking Man" on the Fox TV series "The X-Files". The popular bad guy character (whose "real" name is C.G.B. Spender) acts as a primary figure in an ongoing conspiracy of a syndicate of men who have knowledge of and some control over a pending extraterrestrial invasion of Earth. His chain-smoking character is also referred to in the series as "Cancer Man," and was featured in the X-Files feature film, The X-Files: Fight the Future.

Davis is the former Artistic Director of the National Theatre School and of the Vancouver Playhouse Acting School. He is currently the director of The William Davis Centre For Actor's Study, which he opened in 1989. He also has extensive directing experience. Apart from his acting skills, Davis is a competitive water skier and a certified downhill ski instructor. In real life he has been a non-smoker for the past 17 years, and volunteers his time to produce public service announcements for the Canadian Cancer Society.

In addition to The Cigarette-Smoking Man role on "The X-Files," Davis has appeared in many American TV series, including "Sliders," "The Outer Limits," "North of 60," "Street Justice," "Nightmare Cafe," "MacGyver," and has made guest appearances in "21 Jump Street," "Wiseguy," "Danger Bay," "Captain Power," and "Airwolf."

Davis' notable film appearances include Beyond Obsession, Hitman, Omen IV - The Awakening, Matinee, Beyond the Stars, Look Who's Talking, Head Office and The Dead Zone. He also has numerous stage credits.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.