William Redington Hewlett, 1913-2001 Cofounder of Silicon Valley electronics corporation Hewlett-Packard, William Hewlett was the 26th wealthiest American in the year 2000, according to Forbes magazine. His net worth of approximately $9 billion US was a reflection of the enormous success of the corporation he built alongside his partner, David Packard. He passed away yesterday, Friday January 12th, 2001, in his sleep and of natural causes.

William Hewlett lead the company from its inception (in a 1-car garage) in Depression-era 1937 (and served actively as president and CEO from 1969) until 1977. He remained vice chairman until 1987, and retired in 1993. He was awarded the National Medal of Science by president Reagan in 1985.

Born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and raised in California, he held degrees from Stanford (B.A., M.Engr.) and M.I.T. (S.M.), as well as a large number of honorary doctoral degrees from institutions across the continent. He was also a widely respected philanthropist and actively supported a number of humanitarian causes. He will undoubtedly be missed by many in the modern technology industry he helped make possible. He is survived by his wife, Rosemary, and five children from his first marriage.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.