In Nethack, the Wizard of Yendor (affectionately known as Rodney) holds the Book of the Dead, one of the three items (not including the candles) necessary to perform the invocation ritual. The ritual is performed on the vibrating square, found on the second to last level of Gehennom - it is the only way to enter Moloch's Sanctum, from where you must retrieve the Amulet of Yendor from the high priest.

The Wizard is located in the Wizard's Tower (surpisingly enough), a set of three upwards leading consecutive levels in Gehennom. The tower is reached by a magic portal located in one of the Fake Wizard's Towers, two of which are found 1-4 levels above the vibrating square.

The Wizard is created both asleep and meditating, and will not leave his tower until both states are removed. There are many ways in which he can wake up, but his meditation is much harder to disturb. As long as you don't do anything stupid (beat a drum of earthquake for example) you should be able to disturb him on your own terms once you reach his level.

Once you have killed the Wizard, he will return periodically to cause you quite a bit of hassle and attempt to steal the Amulet of Yendor. He can also 'double trouble' - duplicate himself so that you are attacked by two of the blighters, one of which will probably be carrying a cheap plastic imitation of the Amulet of Yendor - it's a good idea to name the real amulet as soon as you have it, so you don't get confused later on.


Details:

Base Level: 30
Base Experience: 1386
Speed: 12 (normal)
Base AC: -8
Alignment: -128 (no alignment)
Resistances: fire, poison
Resistances gained by eating corpse: fire, poison
Species: humanoid (@)

He can fly, has no need to breathe, can regenerate, can see invisible and can use controlled teleport at will.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.