Woodstock New Brunswick Canada, is where I call home at this point and time. It is a small town with just over six thousand people. We are surrounded by fast-food joints and a very crummy mall. Everyone knows each other, for the most part anyway. I complain often that there is nothing to do, but that is really my own fault, I've come to accept the fact that I am a pessimistic person.

The town isn't all bad I suppose. There are a lot of hicks, rednecks or whatever lingo is used, but I've come to ignore them. One thing I do know is that I'd be scared out of my mind in a big city.

A character from Charles M. Schulz all time classic Peanuts comic strip

Woodstock is a small yellow bird of unknown gender or species.

Though Woodstock is feathery, he or she is decidedly not featherbrained, oftentimes displaying uncommon common sense and wisdom above and beyond that of your average bird. (Although, Woodstock has been known for his or her clumsiness and physical 'sight gag'-style comedic gaffes.) Charles M. Schulz uses Woodstock as Snoopy's main non-human friend, and as Snoopy's sounding board.

Woodstock does not 'speak' in identifiable language, speaking an obscure dialect of some sort of 'bird-ese', represented in the illustrated comic strips by groupings of vertical hatchmarks of varying amounts, depending on the complexity of the dialog. Woodstock also has a gaggle of compatriots that tag along for sports, games, hiking trips, and other group activities.

Woodstock frequently suffers from 'beak-bleeds' at high altitudes, and therefore prefers walking to flying. (Historical data suggests that Woodstock does not fly at all, or only has very limited flight.)

Woodstock lives in a nest in a tree near Snoopy's dog house, or when suffering from frequent beak-bleeds, in Snoopy's red food and water dish. (Much to Snoopy's consternation.)


Content Rescue

The Woodstock Neighborhood is a neighborhood in Portland, Oregon. It is a middle class neighborhood with a mixture of residential and commnercial developments. The neighborhood is centered around SE Woodstick Blvd.

The neighborhood is in Southeast Portland, directly to the East of Reed College and the Reed Neighborhood. The neighborhood is situated at the south edge of the level plain that makes up east Portland, and south of the neighborhood, the terrain becomes more hilly and the system of streets laid out at 90 degrees breaks down. As such, this neighborhood is kind of located at the edge of "Portland proper".

The neighborhood is mostly residential and quiet, although it does have a few thorough streets. In addition, it is next to Reed College, and has a lot of "hip young urban people" in residence, so there is a fair amount of coffee shops, bars and restaraunts around. However, Woodstock Blvd. does not resemble SE Hawthorne Blvd (there is no functional glass art shops), let alone the trendy consumer districts such as Northwest Trendy Third.

Going south or east out of this neighborhood leads to Milwaukie in the first case, and the slightly less charming neighborhoods of outer southeast in the second. As such, this neighborhood is a bulwark of Southeast Portland's genteel liberalism against all of the cultural disruptive forces that exist east of 39th Avenue.

Yes, Woodstock is a famous cartoon bird of indeterminate species, named after a famous rock concert. And it is the name of a town in New Brunswick, and another in Oregon, and still more towns in places like New York and New Hampshire and New Zealand. Indeed, there are a great many towns by the name of Woodstock, because the name itself is a sort of a local promotion effort. You might have noticed once or twice that a town might be called 'Oceanview' or 'Rolling Hills' or the like when the local geography offers no such amenities. This is advertising, pure and simple. Where settlers are wanted, names may be coined to suggest the desirable properties of the location wanting settlement. The entire subcontinent of Greenland is named on such a premise. So are places like 'New York' (impliedly just like good old York) and Pennsylvania ('sylvania' evoking 'sylvan' or idyllically wooded), and every Springfield (suggesting a handy water source) which has ever been.

And what is a 'wood stock' after all? the name to modern ears seems to indicate a resource, a 'stock of wood' -- and in its Auld English origination, it referenced a clearing where such a stock of wood had been gathered from the forest, for the benefit of the king or lord. The implication is that the area cleared is yet surrounded by a plentiful useful resource. Name variants such as Wodestock or Wodestok are recorded as far back as 1086 in England's Domesday Book, for the oldest continuing habitation of that name -- the one still found in Oxfordshire, in the southeast of England.

----

277 words

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.