The old-school surfer vehicle with wood paneling. American woodie station wagons were being used by the 1930s, and helped to conserve steel during the WWII shortage. The suburban middle class bought a lot of woodies after the war and used them for road travel (there are woodies in the background of some Don Martin comics). By the 60's, 'used car dealers had tons of cheap, beat-up woodies, which surfers found perfect for lugging their longboards (David Miller).' Mentioned in the Beach Boys' 'Surfer Girl' and 'Surf City' (Jan and Dean?)

  • A WWII-era station-wagon looking thing which was built partially out of wood (to conserve metal for the war). .
  • Character on "Cheers", played by Woody Harrelson. I wouldn't call it acting, since that word connotates playing a different character than you are in real life...
  • Slang term for an erection. Pretty common in grade school, but not so common as you get older.

The name of the current testing branch of Debian, soon to be Debian 3.0. Named after the guy from Toy Story, like other Debian code names.

...we call it a Woody.

The Beach Boys were the epitome of surfing cool in the sixties. They were they were the hippest of hip young dudes, and they loved riding around in a big, long, station wagon called a 'Woody'.

The purpose of a Woody was to deliver them to the areas in which they could be seen by members of the opposite sex, who would presumably say things like "Wow, what a hot Woody" and "Let's put out for those guys." To increase their chances, the Boys would wax the Woody every weekend, and adjust the suspension to give the best ride possible.

If a gang of 'bad guys' showed up with another Woody, a longer, wider, or more powerful one, there would be a contest called a 'drag', where the two drivers would compete to see who could drive their Woody with the greatest force and speed. If no winner could be decided, the argument would be settled by hand-to-hand and hand-to-Woody combat.

Once the females had been secured and the 'bad guys' humiliated, the Boys could leave on a Surfin' Safari. They would drive off down the coast in their big, bad Woody; surfboards on the roof, cigars blowing smoke in the breeze, and extra-large boloney sandwiches waiting in the lunchbox.

Wood"y (?), a.

1.

Abounding with wood or woods; as, woody land.

"The woody wilderness."

Bryant.

Secret shades Of woody Ida's inmost grove. Milton.

2.

Consisting of, or containing, wood or woody fiber; ligneous; as, the woody parts of plants.

3.

Of or pertaining to woods; sylvan.

[R.] "Woody nymphs, fair Hamadryades."

Spenser.

Woody fiber. Bot. (a) Fiber or tissue consisting of slender, membranous tubes tapering at each end. (b) A single wood cell. See under Wood. Goodale. -- Woody nightshade. Bot.. See Bittersweet, 3 (a). -- Woody pear Bot., the inedible, woody, pear-shaped fruit of several Australian proteaceous trees of the genus Xylomelum; -- called also wooden pear.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.