Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: U.S. Games
Model Number: VC1003
Atari Rarity Guide: 3 Scarce

Have you ever really wanted to shoot at large pixelated letters with an animated spaceship? Well then this is the game for you!

In all reality, Word Zapper is in the running for the title of "Worst Educational Software Title Ever Produced". It is only defeated by a few truly horrible titles for the ColecoVision. You don't want to play this game, actually, you should just stop reading right here and go read something else.

In this game you pilot a flying saucer that must shoot letters to spell out words. This was an early attempt at making a fun educational game. However it is to difficult for young children, (and way to easy for older ones). Making it a failure on both fronts. The game manual actually has the audacity to call this game "profound". The only thing "profound" about this game is the fact that the manual is written almost totally in language that would be incomprehensible to the average grade schooler (the games target market).

From the manual:
The Joystick Controller links you with a most profound vehicle of amusement, the rotary wing Word Zapper. It is armed with vertical and horizontal firing lasers and capable of incredible maneuverability. Opposing you is the Scroll -- a diabolic device designed to wear out the wrist an boggle the mind. The Scroll parades the alphabet across the screen, taunting you to duplicate a word or scrambled letters flashed at the bottom of the screen.

This game is valued at around $5 USD. Games with boxes and manuals are worth more. All Atari collectors can breathe a sigh of relief at the low selling price of this game. Most third party "educational" games tend to be very rare and subsequently become much more expensive.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.