I was discussing with my flatmate the name for my new, yet nonexistant band. I wanted to call it The band of rubbers, which would make it a rubber band. Ha ha. We had a good laugh. And then I thought of calling it The Band Of "I am a Rubber"s, which would make it an I am a rubber band. Again, laughs galore. But. "The band of rubbers" sounds like what I'm saying is "The band of Condoms." There goes that name.

When I was young, rubber meant eraser. Today, rubber means condom. If I'm sitting in class and I ask someone to pass me a rubber, there will be much murmuring and what not.

Cock. I get up when my cock crows.

Pussy. I gave my pussy a bath and now it's all wet.

Buns. Hold my buns for a second, I have to adjust my baguette.

All valid sentences 15 years ago. Today, you're a pervert.


December 17, 2001 update

I was browsing E2, and came upon TheLady's Cheap Homemade Facials, which includes Exfoliating Facials and Nourishing Facials. Nope, we can't say facial anymore either!

The semantic hijacking of one particular word is most frequently bemoaned, particularly by our parents' generation. This word is

gay

According to Webster:
Gay a.
  1. Excited with merriment; manifesting sportiveness or delight; inspiring delight; livery; merry.
  2. Brilliant in colors; splendid; fine; richly dressed. (Why is my neighbor's wife so gay? Chaucer.)
  3. Loose; dissipated; lewd.
Webster is a little behind the times of course, and for years gay has been synonomous with homosexual.

Our generation laments the loss of that meaning, and its increasing use as a derogatory term
Dude, that is so gay

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.