Globalization done in the worst possible way. Groups of corporate executives and politicans meet in smoke-filled rooms to decide the policy and rules, but without any input from the public whatsoever. Then they use their power to eliminate laws that are seen as barriers to trade, but which are just as often laws meant to help people and the environment.

Dolphin-safe tuna is one of the things that has disappeared due to the WTO's decision that it somehow is a trade barrier.

They apparently decided that instead of using this opportunity to bring some of the poorer countries up to the same environmental and technological standards, leapfrogging the period of horrible pollution, they're going to bring the more advanced countries down.

The mission statement of the WTO emphasises transparency or free trade between nations in order to promote economic growth. Critics of the organisation cite the WTO’s lack of attention towards human rights , the environment and labour as a sign of corruption among the members. The WTO has the power to instate rules of trade that would make human rights violations less profitable for trading countries, but it seems unlikely that any such resolution would ever be passed unless the structure of the organisation and the way members are appointed to it is changed.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.