<< 1937 World War II Timeline 1939 >>



15 January - China: The Japanese air force begins regular bombing of Chungking.

25 January - Europe: The Gestapo is given the authority to detain prisoners under "protective custody" without charging them with a crime.

28 January - United States: American President Franklin D. Roosevelt calls for the rearmament of his nation.

4 February - Europe: Chief of the High Command of the German Army Werner von Fritsch is removed from his position by Hitler on fabricated charges of homosexuality. Hitler assumes direct personal control over the Wehrmacht.

18 February - Europe: In a protest of the policy of appeasement, British Foreign Secretary Anthony Eden resigns.

20 February - Europe: Edward Wood, Lord Halifax, is appointed to succeed Eden as Foreign Secretary.

2 March - Czechoslovakia: Neville Chamberlain, Prime Minister of Great Britain, openly rejects supporting Czechoslovakia against German aggression.

4 March - Czechoslovakia: The Czech government states that it will respond in kind to any military attempt to breach her borders. In Germany, Hitler refuses Britain's offerings of territory in Africa in an effort to appease the dictator.

12 March - Europe: German troops enter Austria; they face no opposition.

13 March - Europe: Germany annexes Austria in the "Anschluss" (Union or connection), making the nation a province of the Third Reich. Adolf Hitler returns to his homeland, parading through welcoming Vienna as a conqueor.

18 March - Europe: The Gestapo is granted powers to act in Austria.

24 March - Europe: Neville Chamberlain declares to Parliament that Britain is not bound to aid France in the event of war with Germany.

25 March - China: Chinese forces win the Pyrrhic Battle of Taierchuang; 15,000 Chinese die in the fighting, compared to 16,000 Japanese.

10 April - Europe: In a national referendum, 99% of Austrians support unification with Germany.

11 April - Europe: Bulgaria outlaws the Nazi party in that country.

15 April - Spain: Nationalist troops capture Vinaroz, splitting the Loyalist forces in Castile province.

16 April - Europe: Britain and Italy sign a treaty of friendship, in which Britain recognizes Italy's control of Ethiopia.

23 April - Czechoslovakia: German citizens of the Sudetenland, a Czech province, demand their independence.

24 April - Europe: German Jews are required to register their property with the government.

3 May - Europe: The Flossenbürg concentration camp opens in Bavaria, Germany, near the Czech border. Hitler visits Benito Mussolini in Rome, but forgoes the traditional audience with the Pope.

14 May - China: The League of Nations issues a condemnation of Japan for her use of poison gas in the China campaign.

17 May - United States: The United States Congress begins the process of rearmament, giving the authorization for the Navy to begin expansion.

19 May - Czechoslovakia: Britain and France jointly reject Hitler's demands for Czechoslovakia.

20 May - Czechoslovakia: Czechoslovakia mobilizes its armed forces in response to German aggression along the border.

24 May - Europe: The German Nuremberg Laws are extended into Austria, with the effect of having all Jew-authored and remotely anti-Nazi books removed from Austria libraries and bookstores.

30 May - Japan: The Japanese government orders the arrest of some 1300 alleged Communists. Europe: Hitler publicly announces his aim to destroy Czechoslovakia.

7 June - Europe: Germany signs non-aggression pacts with Estonia and Latvia.

25 June - Europe: In Germany, an edict goes into effect permitting Jewish doctors are to treat only Jewish patients.

28 June - Europe: The neutrality of Switzerland is officially recognized by Italy and Germany.

2 July - Europe: Nearly 40,000 Jews in Austria are taken into "protective custody".

5 July - Europe: A conference begins at Evian, France to discuss the problem of Jewish refugees from Germany.

11 July - Europe: The French Prime Minister is given the authority to govern by decree in the event of war.

12 July - Czechoslovakia: France recommits herself to the independence of Czechoslovakia.

15 July - Europe: The Evian conference ends. The attitude of those nations present are summed up by the Australian delegate, "since we have no racial problem, we are not desirous of importing one."

21 July - Europe: The German government passes legislation to require identity cards for Jews.

27 July - Europe: Throughout Germany, streets with Jewish names are renamed in favor of more German-sounding titles.

30 July - Europe: Germany begins to fortify her western border.

3 August - Europe: The first Italian anti-Semitic laws are enacted.

8 August - Europe: The first concentration camp in Austria, Mauthausen, begins operations.

11 August - Europe: Poland withdraws her delegation to the League of Nations.

12 August - Europe: Germany begins to mobilize her full military.

17 August - Europe: The Waffen-SS (Armed Protection Unit) is formed as a division of the SS. Hitler intends it to be a combat unit that will fight in the coming war and police the following Nazi superstate.

18 August - Europe: The German Chief of Staff of the Army, General Ludwig Beck, resigns as a protest of Hitler's policies toward Czechoslovakia.

1 September - Czechoslovakia: Hitler issues a demand for Czechoslovakia to immediately cede the Sudetenland to Germany.

7 September - Czechoslovakia: France mobilizes a portion of her army in response to Hitler's demands for Czech territory. The Sudetenland seperatists suspend talks with the Czech government.

15 September - Czechoslovakia: Neville Chamberlain meets Adolf Hitler for the first time to discuss the Czechoslovakia crisis at Hitler's mountain retreat, Berchtesgaden.

18 September - Czechoslovakia: Members of the British and French cabinets meet in London to discuss a joint plan to appease Hitler in relation to Czechoslovakia.

20 September - Czechoslovakia: The Czech government accepts the Anglo-French appeasement plan after being informed that if they do not, Czechoslovakia can expect no aid if attacked by Hitler.

22 September - Spain: The International Brigades, groups of volunteers from around the world, withdraw from the conflict in Spain. Europe: Chamberlain and Hitler meet again at Berchtesgaden.

25 September - Czechoslovakia: The government of France alters its position on the appeasement of Hitler, declaring that France will aid the Czechs if Germany invades.

27 September - Europe: Jews are prohibited from practicing law in Germany. Britain mobilizes the Home Fleet in response to the Czech crisis.

29 September - Czechoslovakia: The Munich Conference begins between Germany, Italy, Britain, and France to develop a solution to the problems over Czechoslovakia. Czechoslovakia is excluded from the conference.

30 September - Czechoslovakia: France, Great Britain, Germany, and Italy sign the Munich Pact. The democracies capitulate totally, giving to Hitler Austria and Czechoslovakia in exchange for a promise to not make advances on Germany's neighbors; Neville Chamberlain, the British PM, declares, "I believe it is peace in our time".

1 October - Czechoslovakia: German forces begin a takeover of the Sudetenland, a Czech province containing several important munitions plants.

2 October - Czechoslovakia: Troops from Poland occupy the Czech province of Teschen, as per the Munich Pact.

5 October - Czechoslovakia: Winston Churchill describes the Munich Pact as a "disaster of the first magnitude" and a "total and unmitigated defeat" in a speech to the House of Commons.

6 October - Czechoslovakia: Dr. Eduard Benes, the President of Czechoslovakia, resigns his position.

10 October - China: Japanese troops again close in on the Chinese capital, this time located in Wuhan.

15 November - Europe: Jewish children are expelled from their schools throughout the Reich.

21 October - China: Canton falls to the Japanese. Nationalist China is now without a seaport.

25 October - China: The Japanese army captures Wuhan, forcing the Chinese government to relocate to Chongqing.

2 November - Czechoslovakia: Hungary annexes the southern territories of Czechoslovakia as it was promised in the Munich Pact.

7 November - Europe: An officer of the German embassy in Paris, Ernst vom Rath, is shot by Herschel Grynszpan, a Jewish teenager whose family had been expelled from the Reich on 28 October.

9 November - Europe: Ernst vom Rath dies of his wounds. In retaliation, Kristallnacht (Night of the Broken Glass), a night of violence against Jewish-owned businesses and houses, is organized by the Nazis.

11 November - Europe: Hitler orders Hermann Goering to find a solution to the "Jewish question", and frees him to use whatever resources are necessary.

12 November - Europe: The German government orders the Jewish population of the Reich to pay upwards of 1 billion Reichsmark to pay for the damages inflicted during Kristallnacht.1

13 November - Europe: German officials begin considering a plan to deport all Jews to Madagascar.

14 November - United States: President Roosevelt withdraws the American ambassador to Germany in protest of Kristallnacht.

19 November - Europe: The government of France formally recognizes the Italian Empire as a reward for that nation's signature on the Munich Pact.

26 November - Europe: The USSR and Poland renew their non-aggression pact.

6 December - Europe: France signs a non-aggression treaty with Hitler's government.

12 December - Europe: Neville Chamberlain announces that Britain has no obligation to help France, should she find herself at war with Italy.

23 December - Spain: Nationalist forces begin a push to capture the region of Catalonia.

24 December - Peru: 24 nations of North and South America sign the Declaration of Lima, a pledge of collective protection against foreign aggression.

31 December - United States: Washington, DC rejects Tokyo's claim of the existence of a "New Order" in Asia.

1 : This seems pretty bizarre, even for Hitler. Did I miss something or is this right?
  • SS by mawa, Waywatcher, and sauron
  • http://www.thirdreichruins.com/flossenburg.htm
  • http://www.euronet.nl/users/wilfried/ww2/tot-1939.htm
  • http://www.humanitas-international.org/showcase/chronography/timebase/1938tbse.htm
  • http://www.teachers.nl/_download/ eng_TIMELINES%20anne&.doc
  • http://www.blountweb.com/blountcountymilitary/wars/ww2/timelines/up_to_1941.htm
  • http://www.usd230.k12.ks.us/PICTT/timelines/prewar.html
  • http://www.ucc.uconn.edu/~ww2oh/Timeline.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.