<< 1934 World War II Timeline 1936 >>



7 January - Ethiopia: French Prime Minister Pierre Laval signs an agreement with Benito Mussolini, promising that France will not intervene in Italy's African conquests, despite a 1906 Anglo-French pact to exclude Rome from Ethiopia.

13 January - Europe: The Saarland votes overwhelmingly in favor of rejoining Germany; 90% of those voting supported the measure.

1 March - Europe: The Reich expands for the first time, reabsorbing the Saar.

9 March - Europe: Germany announces the existence of the Luftwaffe, the German air force.

16 March - Europe: Military service becomes compulsory in Germany.

23 March - China: The Japanese puppet state of Manchukuo purchases the Chinese Eastern Railway from the USSR for $40 million.

28 March - Europe: Triumph des Willens (Triumph of the Will), one of the seminal works of Nazi propaganda, premiers in Berlin.

3 April - Ethiopia: Due to increasing Italian aggression against Ethiopia, the African nation petitions the League of Nations to take action.

7 June - Europe: Stanley Baldwin becomes Prime Minister of Britain.

9 June - Japan: Japan demands that China remove its military forces from Beijing and Tientsin.

15 June - China: The leader of the Communist forces in China, Mao Zedong, urges a "united people's front" against Japanese agression.

18 June - Europe: Germany and Britain ratify the Anglo-German Naval Agreement, limiting the tonnage of the German navy to a mere 35% of the British fleet.

31 August - United States: Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the 1935 Neutrality Act with the aim of keeping the nation out of a second war in Europe.

11 September - Ethiopia: Samuel Hoare, Foreign Secretary of Britain, urges the League of Nations to take action regarding the Italian military buildup on the Ethiopian border.

15 September - Europe: The Nuremberg Laws, designed to acheive "racial purity", are passed by the German Reichstag, stripping Jews of all rights and legalizing their persecution. Jews are prohibited from sexual relations and marriage with non-Jewish Germans. The swastika is officially incorporated into the German flag.

28 September - Ethiopia: Ethiopia mobilizes its hopelessly outmatched military.

2 October - Ethiopia: Italy fully invades Ethiopia.

5 October - Ethiopia: FDR invokes the Neutraliy Act, erecting arms embargoes against Italy and Ethiopia.

6 October - Ethiopia: Italy captures Adowa.

19 October - Ethiopia: The League of Nations adopts sanctions against Italy for their aggression in Africa.

28 October - Japan: The Japanese government demands that China move to suppress Communism and all anti-Japanese activities in that country.

6 November - Ethiopia: The fortress of Makkale falls to the Italians.

15 November - Asia: The Philippine Islands become a commonwealth of the United States.

1 December - China: Chiang Kai-Shek is elected to chair the Chinese National Government.

8 December - Ethiopia: Samuel Hoare and Pierre Laval sign a secret pact, recognizing Italy's claim to large sections of Ethiopian territory.

9 December - Ethiopia: The Hoare-Laval Pact is publicized.

12 December - China: Two Chinese provinces bordering Manchukuo, Chahar and Hopei, are declared to be autonomous by the Japanese.

22 December - Europe: Samual Hoare is replaced by Anthony Eden as the British Foreign Secretary.

23 December - Ethiopia: The Italian commander in the region, Marshal Badoglio, orders the use of dichlorodiethyl sulfide gas against the Ethiopian defenders.
  • http://www.euronet.nl/users/wilfried/ww2/tot-1939.htm
  • http://www.humanitas-international.org/showcase/chronography/timebase/1935tbse.htm
  • http://www.teachers.nl/_download/ eng_TIMELINES%20anne&.doc
  • http://www.blountweb.com/blountcountymilitary/wars/ww2/timelines/up_to_1941.htm
  • http://www.usd230.k12.ks.us/PICTT/timelines/prewar.html
  • http://www.ucc.uconn.edu/~ww2oh/Timeline.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.