An undead monster in NetHack. Level 6, Armor Class 4, 15% magic resistance. Always a joy to have around, because devouring a wraith's corpse will gain you an experience level.

Of course, with such great benefits available to epicurean hacks, wraiths don't always leave corpses. The chances are better if something else kills the wraith (such as a trap or a pet) and there is no graveyard on the level:

  • Not killed by you, no graveyard: 66%
  • Killed by you, no graveyard: 50%
  • Not killed by you, graveyard present: 22%
  • Killed by you, graveyard present: 8%
Obviously, it is better to try to get something else to kill a wraith, and it is worthwhile to get them to follow you up or down to another level if there is a graveyard on yours.

I have no idea why the Dev Team decided that eating a wraith corpse should raise your level -- I suppose it comes from the fact that wraiths can drain levels in AD&D. But it's still a stretch for something as insubstantial as a wraith to leave any corpse at all, and you have to wonder if it would actually be edible (it has, after all, been dead for months, years, centuries, who knows?)

Furthermore, I couldn't help noticing that there is an E2 user named Wraith. So, if the Dev Team is making any sense here, I should be able to track him down, kill him, eat his corpse, and then I'll become level 4. Actually, since there's only one of him, I'd probably better wait till I'm level 9 or something so I can be Real Cool.

There exists an interesting Irish legend about a female wraith called The Grey Washer by the Ford. She usually stands by a river and seems to be constantly washing something in the water. If approached by a 'doomed' man, someone who unbeknownst to him is about to suffer a violent death in the near future, the wraith holds up what she was washing, and it turns out to be a shadow of the doomed man himself, complete with bleeding wounds he is about to suffer.

The wraith is the title of The Insane Clown Posse's sixth and final Jokers card. The wraith actually comes in two parts, the first CD, "shangri-la" which was released on november 5, 2002, and "hells pit" which is to be released on November 5, 2003. ICP always predicted that when the sixth album drops, the end of the world will come. So far, it hasn't happened.

The story is that when you die, the wraith takes you where you are going, hence the albums cover image of a spectre reaching its hand out to you. For those who were good, and followed the path of the light, they go to Shangri-la, or whatever their heaven is. But woe to those who strayed and chose to harm and judge others. they head to "hells pit". basically hell.

On the musical side, this album is a departure from the normal rap and horrorcore Stylings of ICP. And although it has the "wicked shit" on it, it is the unveiling of the truth behind ICP. Fans have waited for over a decade to hear this message. After its release, it split the fans (more commonly known as juggalos ) into three factions. On one side, the fans that got the message all along and were satisfied with it, and follow it. on the other side, those who thought they knew what it was about, and now hate ICP for it. and in the middle is the people who just dont care, and just like the music

Wraith (?), n. [Scot. wraith, warth; probably originally, a guardian angel, from Icel. vor[eth]r a warden, guardian, akin to E. ward. See Ward a guard.]

1.

An apparition of a person in his exact likeness, seen before death, or a little after; hence, an apparition; a specter; a vision; an unreal image.

[Scot.]

She was uncertain if it were the gypsy or her wraith.

Sir W. Scott.

O, hollow wraith of dying fame. Tennyson.

2.

Sometimes, improperly, a spirit thought to preside over the waters; -- called also water wraith.

M. G. Lewis.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.