The Youth International Party. "Party" in both senses: it was politics as guerrilla theatre. "Led" at first by Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin, who became part of the Chicago 7 after their attempts to hold protests (including the introduction of an alternative presidential nominee: Pigasus, a pig) prompted the Chicago cops to bust mucho heads. Hoffman and Rubin were later eased out of leadership by a bunch of young "Zippies", who were acting out the trendy adage "don't trust anyone over 30".

Got all their good ideas from The Diggers. Did some nice actions though. My favorite: They showed up at the N.Y. Stock Exchange, and when they weren't allowed in (they had long hair and were unclean), they loudly proclaimed that they were Jews. "You don't let Jews in here?" Then when they were finally allowed in they dumped suitcases of money out onto the floor, causing trading to pause for a few minutes and ultimately causing the Stock Exchange to put plexiglas over the viewing gallery.

Yippies were very counter-culture, standing up for everything that went against the status quo. Yippies advocated free love, free living, free health care, and generally free anything that they considered good. They tended to stand behind organizations such as the Weathermen and the Black Panthers, not fearing to advocate violent protest. Steal This Book, a perfect example of Yippie literature, includes ways to get out of the Army, ways to shoplift, a recipe for LACE, and (now outdated) locations of free clinics. They were, in their strange way, idealists.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.