A sentence spoken by Rei Ayanami in Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Do You Love Me ? This is one of the most mind-blowing Evangelion Episodes and deals with such things as Intstrumentality and the Hedgehog's Dilemma.

You deny that fact in an attempt to suppress that facet of your reality.

Because of fear.


When we fear something it is sometimes easier to run away from it, to escape for a while. There are many truths about ourselves that we just don't want to accept. We try and hide these truths and pretend they are not there. This may work, for a while, but eventually the things we didn't want to deal with come out, into the open, for all to see.

There is one common misconception of young children that seems to continue on into adult life. Most people wont admit to it, but they will hold to the belief that "If I can't see it, it won't hurt me". Gone are the days of hiding under the covers, we now hide from ourselves. People live in denial about so many different things and the overriding reason for this is fear. Fear of rejection, of the unknown, of pain and suffering, of shame and embarrassment, but most of all fear of actually finding out the truth, of what is fact and what is fiction.

It seems rather absurd when you think about it. We would much prefer to go though our lives living a lie, than face up to the consequences of accepting what is real and not trying to hide from the things we fear. I suppose living in a fantasy world is easy to begin with but inevitably the constant avoiding of issues in your life will cause more pain than it prevents.

In the end it's just Komm Süsser Tod, Come, Sweet Death, It all returns to nothing, for people who can't wake up to the fact that fear is a natural part of life and running away from that and from yourself can only result in more hurt and ultimately more fear.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.