Left-wing publication that comes out every other month, features articles by such writers as Noam Chomsky, and is usually quite down on politicians and up on the environment. The whole magazine is lightly peppered with political cartoons.

Founded back in the 80's by the South End Press, Z Magazine (technically, pronounced Zeta because of a pre-existing TV Guide-like periodical called Z Magazine) raises up the voices of discontent. A must-read primer for wannabe dissidents.

"ZMagazine is an independant magazine of critical thinking on political, cultural, social, and economic life in the U.S. It sees the racial, gender, class, and political dimensions of personal life as fundamental to understanding and improving contemporary circumstances; and it aims to assist activist efforts for a better future."

This is how ZMag describes itself. It is published in Cambridge, MA, by Lydia Sargent, Eric Sargent and Michael Albert.

It also runs an annual Z Media Institute, a summer school in politics, media, computer skills, etc. (In June, so I have never been able to attend, as my academic year extends until the end of June.)

It is an intellectual home for Noam Chomsky, and many who share this view of the world, including Edward S. Herman, a collaborator with Chomsky on Manufacturing Consent, and other books.

Unlike The Nation, ZMag publishes many who are nowhere nearly as well known. In so many ways they cover the same ground, and one will find The Nation mentioned in ZMag, thought not so often the reverse.

Zmag authors do not attempt to seek the limelight as those in The Nation, as Katrina vanden Heuvel, Victor Navasky, and of course, Christopher Hitchens.

Zmag, I think, works to keep The Nation honest, and is much less upscale, if The Nation can be called upscale.

Both are required reading for anyone who wishes a somewhat clear vision of the world today.

There is an extensive website at zmag.org.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.