a.k.a. Zastava M77 Assault Rifle (but we just call it the Zastava, I had to google to find the model number)

This is one of many AK-47 clones, produced in Yugoslavia, and stands out for being chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO rounds instead of the Soviet 7.62x39mm round of the AK-47. Semi and fully automatic versions were available, and sold very cheaply. In most respects, it works and looks like an AK-47 - expect for lacking the signature curved magazine in favor of a rectangular one for NATO rounds.

It kicks, a lot. It's similar in size and weight to an AK-47, but it uses a more powerful round, so it's inevitable that the recoil is somewhat troublesome. Compared it to a H&K G3, the only other assault rifle I've fired, when it fires the barrel goes up a lot, while with the G3 the barrel stays level and most of the force of the recoil goes backwards. The guns we were using jammed a lot, but they were old and in bad condition so I don't think it's a design flaw.

Oh, and they're made by the same company that makes the Yugo, which doesn't really inspire too much confidence in them.

My experiences come from the Cypriot National Guard, where Zastavas are still used for training, as they're around and we're poor, and they take the same rounds as the G3, which is the standard-issue rifle here. Feel free to correct me on facts, or contribute some; I'm not a gun expert by any means, but there is so little information about this gun on the internet (I couldn't even find a picture!) I felt obliged to contribute.

Edit: There's a picture at http://www.gun-world.net/russain/kalash nikov/foreign/yugoslavia/yugo.htm, if anyone wants to see it - thanks rootbeer277

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.