The person wants to be treated like an animal wearing a collar and even eating out of an animals dish. This is different from bestiality (what tregoweth described) in which the person wants to have sex with an animal.

Within furrydom zoophilia simply means a love of animals, and a zoophile is someone who loves animals. It's probably best to apply the same principle we used for toonophiles: a zoophile feels for non-humans in the same way that humans generally feel for each other.

Zoophilia can mean sexual attraction, but one shouldn't assume that is the case if someone tells you 'I'm a zoo'. Many furries are zoos in the non-sexual sense of the word. Some furries are also sexual zoophiles.

zoophilia: a paraphilia of the stigmatic/eligibilic type in which sexuoerotic arousal and facilitation or attainment of orgasm are responsive to and {contingent on} [dependent upon] engaging in cross-species sexual activities, that is, with an animal [from Greek, zoon, animal + -philia]. There is no technical term for the cross-species reciprocal paraphilic condition in which an animal mates with a member of the human or other species, although the phenomenon does exist; (adjective, zoophilic): the condition of being responsive to, or depending on, sexual activity with an animal in order to obtain erotic arousal and facilitate orgasm: also known as bestiality. Sexual contact (oral or genital). with an animal may occur sporadically in the course of human development without leading to long-term zoophilia. Synonym, bestiality. See also formicophilia.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.