Zzyzx was a band. From what I can glean, they did indeed break up. This is reported in the 7/16 Vine column of the Synthesis (http://www.synthesis.net/index.php?main=/columns/vine/07/16/). Do not try to access this site in Netscape as the java code only works in IE. The keyboard player, Kolby Barr, is the one that broke it to the columnist. The lead vocalist Windy Wagner has since worked on a solo career. They released two albums, the second of which was Next Exit in 1986. I can find reference to their being on the playbills of Palookaville in Santa Cruz on May 26, 2000 as well as for Broke Ass Summer Jam 5 at the Maritime Hall in San Francisco on July 21, 2000.

There was also a band called Exit to Zzyzx with lead vocalist named Lauren. She has since joined the band the Papercuts.

In 1989, the Mojave Group announced the release of the Zzyzx Integrated Mail Processor for QuickBBS (ZMailQ). Intriguingly, the Mojave Group was, and may still be, located in Westminster, CO.

The book Zzyzx Encounters was written by Thomas Thompson in 1994. The title was issued for the first time in early 1999. The byline from the editor is, "American revolution in the year 2030." Extraterrestrials, a black female Chief Justice, electric vehicles and an end to gun control are some of the themes. Amazon.com ships it in 4 - 6 weeks.

Another book, Captain Zzyzx, was written by Michael Petracca in 1992. It is the sequel to the book Doctor Syntax, which is listed under Mystery/Suspense with Amazon.com. While Doctor Syntax is available with a 1 - 2 week ship time, Captain Zzyzx is currently out of print.

In the 1870's, a public bathing establishment known as Soda Lake Station was built at Soda Springs. In 1944, Curtis H Springer and wife Helen found the land deserted and took posession under a mining claim, developing it into the Zzyzx Mineral Springs and Health Resort which operated until 1974. The National Park Service regained possession in 1994 and the site is leased to the California Desert Studies Consortium of the California State University. {1}

Zzyzx Road is an exit off of I-15. It is purported to be a 4 1/2 mile long dirt road leading from the Interstate to the springs. A good daytime photo of this exit can be found at (http://www.schweich.com/imagehtml/1440-11.html) Particularly interesting information on the road and expanding on the history of the springs can be reached at (http://www.wordways.com/zzyzx.htm) as well as another photo of the turnoff. I have yet to actually drive this bit of road, although I have passed it many times on my way to and from Las Vegas. I will eventually drive it, even though one of my coworkers reports it to be rather uninteresting.

(http://www.ihoz.com) is the International House of Zzyzx. The proprietor, David "ZZYZX" Steinberg, is something of a road buff, having compiled stats on the Interstates to be found in the US. The site also boasts Phish stats, Fun with Phone Numbers, a Random Color Generator, and several links to friends, ramblings, and Dr Pepper.

Finally, there is Zzyzx Peripherals, Inc. (http://www.zzyzx.com) Their main page byline reads:
" RAID. Workstations. Tape Back-Up. -- Zzyzx' custom computing solutions are designed to solve your current needs and future requirements. Call today to get the best combination of hardware, software and service to achieve your system's full potential effectively and affordably."
That pretty much sums them up.

{1} information from (http://www.nps.gov/moja/mojaplan/mojaaff.html)

I was just out there the other day and thought I'd check the place out, because it apparently is a college research facility. Having spent 3 months at the White Mountain Research Station in Bishop, I figured it might be a similar kind of place. So I drove in, expecting there to be random hippie-like people milling about, old trucks with big tires, people playing guitar, someone to offer me a beer...

Well, as soon as we went in there were a bunch of old ladies sitting there polishing rocks. I tried to say hi but one of them started bitching about something, and then said "you're not supposed to be in here." I was about to protest and inform them that the place was listed as a destination by the Mojave National Scenic Area flyers, had a trail, etc., but since my dad was there I decided not to raise a fuss. So I went to turn around. I was driving by again at about 10 MPH when someone shouted "15 miles per hour!" in a cranky voice. Apparently they wanted me to go 15 MPH (the speed limit was something silly like 5) so I hit the gas and got the hell outta there.

Apparently those ladies hadn't spent much time in the desert. It's pretty damn rude to offer a virtual invitation to come visit with signs, etc, and even an interpretive trail, and then be rude to someone. It was several miles on a dusty, washboarded road, too. People that dumb usually don't last long in such a harsh environment.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.