It was another long day in my infinitely confusing and yet achingly beautiful Universe. I rode my thoughts to the deepest slumps of depression, and then back up again, not too high, but to a level that I can deal with.

Today I went for a walk, the most amazing walk I've been on in recent times, possibly ever. As I made my way down the hill that leads to my favourite tree-shrowded path, I heard the tell-tale signs that spring is most certainly in the air. The frogs and birds were chirping, along with the crickets, and of course I could see it, too, in the long, tender blades of grass growing wildly along the path, and in the tiny budding leaves.

Incidentally, when I started my little outdoor adventure, I was walking rather quickly, I was trying to get away from my problems, I think.. just leaving them behind. But as I walked, noticed the orange'y glow of the evening settling around me, I began to relax a little. Upon reaching the half way point, that is, in relation to my desired destination, I stopped.. I stopped and I looked up through the branches of the trees disappearing into the darkness, and thought, "What's this life for?". That's a song.. but that doesn't matter, what matters is, I thought just that. And then it all made sense, you know, everything. The planets alligned and my brain focussed and it was okay again. I turned around and walked back, much more slowly, and as I approached the stallion who resides in a pen away from other horses and the barn, all by himself, I decided to pick him a handful of grass. I did this.. he seemed grateful, since he'd pretty much devoured the fresh green grass in his corral.

I touched his nose just gently, and then went on my way.. as I went along I noticed he was walking beside me. I thought, "he must know..", how I felt, that is. He walked as far as he could walk with me, and then I stopped and turned to look at him, as he was doing the same to me. I couldn't help but think at that moment that it doesn't matter how lonely I feel, how alone I think I am.. I'm never quite there, there is always going to be someone, some creature there feeling a lot like myself, comforting without so much as a word.

After visiting the stallion, and some other horses up on a big hill out back with their darling little babies, I walked back towards the house. I was slowly making my way up the hill when I noticed two ducks, side by side, swim down into the pond making a little splash noise that startled me, but in a good way. I thought it was nice of them to say farewell..

I'd be so lost in this Universe if it weren't for the trees.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.