ACDSee is an image viewing program made for Windows 3.1 and higher and MacOS. There are 16-bit and 32-bit versions for Windows, so users of 32-bit operating systems need not lower themselves to the level of 16-bit applications.

Published by ACD Systems, ACDSee is currently (December 2000) in version 3.1 for the PC and 1.5 for the Macintosh. It is an image viewer primarily but also does image converting. ACDSee's popularity is so high among the image viewing masses for a number of reasons. It has a familiar interface similar to that of Windows Explorer (when viewing the folder list), and can be set to ignore non-image files. It provides modes whereby it can list available images as thumbnails, as large icons, as small icons, as a list, and as a list with details. It includes one of the fastest image previewers anywhere (built into the program--it isn't an HTML preview like in Windows 98's Explorer), and when viewing images it has a read ahead mode (allowing it to load the next image into memory so it renders more quickly) and a cache behind mode (allowing the last viewed image to quickly be rendered again). It has a slideshow mode with a user-definable delay, it lets you customize the thumbnail size, it can play WAV file automatically when selected, has auto-sizing of the viewing window, lets you automatically rename files in a batch, lets you convert files in batch mode, and lets you crop, rotate, alter, and compress images.

ACDSee supports viewing the following file types:

BMP Windows Bitmap
DCX Multiple-page PCX
EMF Enhanced Metafile Format
GIF Graphics Interchange Format
IFF EA/Amiga Interchange File Format
JPEG JPEG JFIF
KDC Kodak KDC
PCD Kodak PhotoCD
PCX ZSoft Publisher’s Paintbrush
PIC SoftImage PIC
PIX Alias PIX
PNG Portable Network Graphics
PSD Adobe PhotoShop Document
SGI SGI Image Format
TGA Targa TGA
TIFF Tag Image File Format
WMF Windows Metafile Format


and supports writing the following file types:

BMP Windows Bitmap
JPEG JPEG JFIF
PCX ZSoft Publisher’s Paintbrush
TGA Targa TGA
TIFF Tag Image File Format

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.