In object-oriented programming, the addition of functionality or an interface to an object class. To use Solace as an example, I have a base renderer object which does all of the rendering functionality at the high-level and calls unimplemented methods within the class. Then the various renderer objects aggregate a hardware layer with the base renderer, implementing the missing functionality (typically configuration, rasterization, and various hardware-specific queries). Similarly, a texture is aggregated into a procedural texture which is a texture with missing functionality (specifically the update procedure), which are in turn aggregated with specific texture generators, such as clouds, fire, reflections, etc.

Ag`gre*ga"tion (&?;), n. [Cf. LL. aggregatio, F. agrégation.]

The act of aggregating, or the state of being aggregated; collection into a mass or sum; a collection of particulars; an aggregate.

Each genus is made up by aggregation of species.
Carpenter.

A nation is not an idea only of local extent and individual momentary aggregation, but . . . of continuity, which extends in time as well as in numbers, and in space.
Burke.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.