Also this or something else.

Unfortunately, 'also' appears at the beginnings of far too many E2 nodes that start off with the phrase 'Also something else'. This style is often seen in the second or third writeup in a node that completely loses its value if the preceeding writeups in the node are deleted for some reason.

Friends, countrymen, fellow E2 noders - I beg of you make the writeup your own. If it is also something else just write about something else and pretend that your writeup is the first one there. Imagine, for a moment, reading a dictionary or encyclopedia and seeing:

Amazon: (noun)
  1. A tribe of warlike women from Greek mythology
  2. Also, a website that sells books and other stuff

Once again, I implore you to make the writeup your own so that it makes just as much sense as if it was the first and only writeup in a node.

This writeup has been brought to you by The Nitpicker's Guide to E2 Style and Formatting

Al"so (#), adv. & conj. [All + so. OE. al so, AS. ealswa, alsw, aelswae; eal, al, ael, all + swa so. See All, So, As.]

1.

In like manner; likewise.

[Obs.]

2.

In addition; besides; as well; further; too.

Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven . . . for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Matt. vi. 20.

3.

Even as; as; so.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

Syn. -- Also, Likewise, Too. These words are used by way of transition, in leaving one thought and passing to another. Also is the widest term. It denotes that what follows is all so, or entirely like that which preceded, or may be affirmed with the same truth; as, "If you were there, I was there also;" "If our situation has some discomforts, it has also many sources of enjoyment." Too is simply less formal and pointed than also; it marks the transition with a lighter touch; as, "I was there too;" "a courtier yet a patriot too." Pope. Likewise denotes literally "in like manner," and hence has been thought by some to be more specific than also. "It implies," says Whately, "some connection or agreement between the words it unites. We may say, �xbf; He is a poet, and likewise a musician; ' but we should not say, �xbf; He is a prince, and likewise a musician,' because there is no natural connection between these qualities." This distinction, however, is often disregarded.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.