Also alveo-palatal. In phonetics, this refers to sibilants made in the postalveolar region (between the alveolar ridge and the palate), with an additional "softening".

The precise description of this softening is, I believe, disputed. It has been described as palatalization, but that is insufficient in terms of tongue position: I find I lower the tip of my tongue, but I am not only not a native speaker of Polish or Chinese, I have not been taught by one either, so I can't be precise about it.

In Polish they are the sounds written ś ź ć dź with acute accents over them, or plain s z c dz before the letter i. These sounds contrast with both the ordinary (unaccented) s z c dz, and with the postalveolar (formerly called palato-alveolar) sounds sz rz cz drz, which are the equivalent of English sh ch j.

In Chinese they are written x q j in Pinyin transcription, as in Qinghai or Beijing. The fact that these were formerly written Tsinghai, Peking in the Wade-Giles transcription shows that the alveolo-palatal sounds of the modern Beijing dialect are recent developments before the vowels i and ΓΌ. They only occur before those two vowels (the u is written without its umlaut for simplicity). Chinese doesn't have the sh ch j sounds of English or Polish: but its alveolo-palatal sounds contrast with the retroflex consonants written as sh r ch zh, as well as the ordinary alveolar sibilants written s c z.

In Japanese alveolo-palatals occur in the syllables ti si zi, tya sya zya etc., which are often romanized as chi shi ji, cha sha ja.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.