who just seemed to stand out, if you know what i mean. I noticed her immediately, purely on the grounds of presence. She absolutely knew what a good deal she was and i couldn't help but agree. I fought off the clenching in my stomach and walked over, offered to buy her a drink.

She was amused, probably at my sheer presumption. After all, what was this skinny, pale beanstalk of a boy (I didn't yet look anywhere near my age) doing? But who cared? If nothing else, i got to hear that voice, smooth cultured tones over the faintest of west country burrs. I got to watch the mouth peel back to show those tiny white teeth, i got to hear her laugh. No idea what i said. All memory space is devoted to her from that evening. I fetched her the drink, Bucks Fizz in a champagne flute from the overly pretentious bar, i tried not to act like a complete dick, i did what every man in this situation has always done and took a chance, trusted her not to publicly crush me as we both knew she could.

She was a month younger than me, interesting to talk to, supremely confident. Lean, muscled from cycling, (her explanation anyway) with reddish-golden hair and a light dusting of freckles matched up one of those pinball machine smiles. I was lost.

I made inane jokes and hoped my luck would hold. It only held for four months, but that girl's in my head forever.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.