A preparation used to prevent seizing of mechanical parts, whether due to high assembly forces or corrosion. Anti seize compounds are used in operation of many types of industrial equipment and automotive repair and assembly. Different varieties exist for specific purposes, including high temperature operation, corrosive or marine environments, and varieties which are safe (and approved) for use in food processing, and may include any of the following: zinc, bronze, copper, graphite or molybdenum disulfide.

Generally these compounds provide dry lubrication, which has the benefit that it may stay in place in services where environmental exposure to water, rain etc could quickly remove all traces of a liquid lubricant, or where a mechanism might not be disassembled for years or decades.

Perhaps the most common usage in everyday experience is in automotive maintenance, where a cautious mechanic will apply anti seize compound to bolts which experience has shown can be difficult or impossible to loosen. Prime examples would include wheel lugs, Exhaust and silencer fittings and exhaust manifold nuts and bolts. Stainless steel fittings should often be considered candidates for application of anti seize compound, owing to it's high likelihood of galling.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.