Lisp function for evaluating a function on a list of arguments.

(apply func arg1 ... argk arglist)
applies func to the list (arg1 ... argk . arglist).

A few examples will make this clear:

(apply #'+ '(2 3 4 5)) ⇒ 14
(apply #'+ 2 3 '(4 5)) ⇒ 14
The second form (k>0) is almost never seen, but Common Lisp defines it.

func may also be a symbol (e.g. '+ instead of #'-); the definition of that symbol as a function is then used (it must exist, of course).

Ap*ply" (#), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Applied (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Applying.] [OF. aplier, F. appliquer, fr. L. applicare to join, fix, or attach to; ad + plicare to fold, to twist together. See Applicant, Ply.]

1.

To lay or place; to put or adjust (one thing to another); -- with to; as, to apply the hand to the breast; to apply medicaments to a diseased part of the body.

He said, and the sword his throat applied. Dryden.

2.

To put to use; to use or employ for a particular purpose, or in a particular case; to appropriate; to devote; as, to apply money to the payment of a debt.

3.

To make use of, declare, or pronounce, as suitable, fitting, or relative; as, to apply the testimony to the case; to apply an epithet to a person.

Yet God at last To Satan, first in sin, his doom applied. Milton.

4.

To fix closely; to engage and employ diligently, or with attention; to attach; to incline.

Apply thine heart unto instruction. Prov. xxiii. 12.

5.

To direct or address.

[R.]

Sacred vows . . . applied to grisly Pluto. Pope.

6.

To betake; to address; to refer; -- used reflexively.

I applied myself to him for help. Johnson.

7.

To busy; to keep at work; to ply.

[Obs.]

She was skillful in applying his "humors." Sir P. Sidney.

8.

To visit.

[Obs.]

And he applied each place so fast. Chapman.

Applied chemistry. See under Chemistry. -- Applied mathematics. See under Mathematics.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ap*ply", v. i.

1.

To suit; to agree; to have some connection, agreement, or analogy; as, this argument applies well to the case.

2.

To make request; to have recourse with a view to gain something; to make application. (to); to solicit; as, to apply to a friend for information.

3.

To ply; to move.

[R.]

I heard the sound of an oar applying swiftly through the water. T. Moore.

4.

To apply or address one's self; to give application; to attend closely (to).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.