A 32Bit RISC Microprocessor originaly designed by Acorn Computers Ltd, Cambridge, England, for the Acorn Archimedes (The first consumer RISC computer (in 1987)).

Acorn begat ARM Limited who went on to produce the Arm 3, 600, 700 and the (with DEC) the Strong ARM used in the Corel NetWinder, and the Digital Shark.

Film term:

A metal rod that is attached to a C-Stand which can extend off to the side.

Glossary of Film Terms - http://homepage.newschool.edu/~schlemoj/film_courses/glossary_of_film_terms/
reprinted with permission

Abbreviation for "adjustable rate mortgage". As opposed to a fixed rate mortgage, an ARM is generally offered at a low fixed initial rate which is adjusted relative to the prime rate or some other index every year or three or five. Good for the buyer if interest rates stay put or drop; bad if they go up.

They're popular because the initial rate is lower, allowing for a higher loan amount. This is expecially advantageous if you don't plan to live in your home for the entire length of the mortgage. They often allow you to refinance to a fixed rate mortgage after a certain amount of time (for a fee, of course) in case the adjustments aren't working to your advantage.

In Larry Niven's Known Space future history, ARM means the Amalgamated Regional Militia, essentially the United Nations police. It is also slang for a member of the organization. Gil Hamilton is an example of the earlier ARM. Although they lose power, even at the late end of Known Space (the Ringworld trilogy) the ARM is still a force to reckon with.

One of the techniques used by the ARM is situational insanity. Many of their agents are paranoids and psychotics. They are treated for their insanity, but while at work, their treatment is withheld, allowing the ARM to have an extra edge, a measure of creativity denied to most organizations. This use of controlled madness saves humanity's collective bacon more than once in the series.

ARM stands for Associate in Risk Management. This is a designation that can be earned by professionals in the insurance industry. The ARM requires a total of three nationally administered tests. The designation also requires that the individual must satisfy a list of ethics, experience, and education requirements.

Information gathered from insuranceachievement.com.

Arm (#), n. [AS. arm, earm; akin to OHG. aram, G., D., Dan., & Sw. arm, Icel. armr, Goth. arms, L. armus arm, shoulder, and prob. to Gr. joining, joint, shoulder, fr. the root to join, to fit together; cf. Slav. rame. . See Art, Article.]

1.

The limb of the human body which extends from the shoulder to the hand; also, the corresponding limb of a monkey.

2.

Anything resembling an arm

; as, (a)

The fore limb of an animal, as of a bear.

(b)

A limb, or locomotive or prehensile organ, of an invertebrate animal.

(c)

A branch of a tree.

(d)

A slender part of an instrument or machine, projecting from a trunk, axis, or fulcrum; as, the arm of a steelyard.

(e) Naut

The end of a yard; also, the part of an anchor which ends in the fluke.

(f)

An inlet of water from the sea.

(g)

A support for the elbow, at the side of a chair, the end of a sofa, etc.

3.

Fig.: Power; might; strength; support; as, the secular arm; the arm of the law.

To whom is the arm of the Lord revealed? Isa. lii. 1.

Arm's end, the end of the arm; a good distance off. Dryden. -- Arm's length, the length of the arm. -- Arm's reach, reach of the arm; the distance the arm can reach. -- To go (or walk) arm in arm, to go with the arm or hand of one linked in the arm of another. "When arm in armwe went along." Tennyson. -- To keep at arm's length, to keep at a distance (literally or figuratively); not to allow to come into close contact or familiar intercourse. -- To work at arm's length, to work disadvantageously.

 

© Webster 1913.


Arm, n. [See Arms.] Mil. (a)

A branch of the military service; as, the cavalry arm was made efficient.

(b)

A weapon of offense or defense; an instrument of warfare; -- commonly in the pl.

 

© Webster 1913.


Arm, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Armed (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Arming.] [OE. armen, F. armer, fr. L. armare, fr. arma, pl., arms. See arms.]

1.

To take by the arm; to take up in one's arms.

[Obs.]

And make him with our pikes and partisans A grave: come, arm him. Shak.

Arm your prize; I know you will not lose him. Two N. Kins.

2.

To furnish with arms or limbs.

[R.]

His shoulders broad and strong, Armed long and round. Beau. & Fl.

3.

To furnish or equip with weapons of offense or defense; as, to arm soldiers; to arm the country.

Abram . . . armed his trained servants. Gen. xiv. 14.

4.

To cover or furnish with a plate, or with whatever will add strength, force, security, or efficiency; as, to arm the hit of a sword; to arm a hook in angling.

5.

Fig.: To furnish with means of defense; to prepare for resistance; to fortify, in a moral sense.

Arm yourselves . . . with the same mind. 1 Pet. iv. 1.

To arm a magnet, to fit it with an armature.

 

© Webster 1913.


Arm, v. i.

To provide one's self with arms, weapons, or means of attack or resistance; to take arms.

" 'Tis time to arm."

Shak.

<-- p. 82 -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.