"He's not boomer enough for that," he said.

Woods nodded. "He may not be old, but it's never too early. You have to get things checked out to stay safe."

"He's not the type to see the doctor until he's almost dying," said Aeon.

Woods laughed. "Well, we can't just let him die. He may not be important in the grand scheme of things, but he's important to me. And he should be important to you too."

"Yes, you're right, but I know he'll say what I'm saying. That he's not old enough for prostate problems." Aeon was resigned.

Woods pressured him. "Dad is not going easily. We may have to drag him there with our bare hands, but we will have to do it one of these days. We can't go on as if he's immortal."

"He's already ignoring his diabetes. You know what he said to me last week? 'If I can't eat whatever I want, life isn't worth living.' How am I supposed to deal with that?"

"He's always been like that, maybe only towards us," said Woods. "He'll probably always think of us as children."

"I should give Mom a call, but I don't think he's listening to her either since she remarried. That probably sticks in his craw."

"Maybe you should call her anyway," said Woods. "I'm at my wit's end."

Aeon put down his phone, unsure.

On the other end, Woods drove on in the darkness. Towards her home.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.