Pale shade of blue associated with lounge lizards, as well as small humans known as babies. A color your want to avoid in a tuxedo.

"Baby Blue" is a song on my upcoming album, "Bedtime Stories". I'm hoping to have the album complete by Spring 2006, and I'll make it freely available to Everythingians when it's finished.

I wrote the song in November 2004, whilst noodling on the piano and looking after my (then) baby daughter, Willow. When Willow was younger, she had the most striking blue eyes, and when she looked up at me with them, my heart melted. As I was sat at the piano, randomly playing chords, I was gazing into her eyes and thinking of all the things that she might go through in her life. And the chords slowly coalesced into a pattern, and the words in my brain started falling into rhythms, and before I knew it I had a good chunk of the song written.

I had planned a week-long writing and recording retreat at the studio belonging to my good friend Dylan, planning to just sit in the studio, play around and see if anything good happened. Just before I went, I had a big row with my wife. The row continued whilst I was in the studio for the week (200 miles away), and just a few short days later, my wife left me and took Willow away with her. This song is closely associated with that time, but remains a song of hope for me, a song of my dreams for my daughter's future.

Baby Blue

Baby blue,
Baby blue,
Baby blue,
Blue.

Watching your eyes watching me,
Not knowing what you can see,
And dreaming of who you will be.

Holding your hand, standing tall,
Catch you whenever you fall,
Come running to you when you call me.

Baby blue,
Baby blue,
Baby blue,
Blue.

Wiping a tear from your eye,
Watching the years going by,
And knowing, with you,
All my dreams have come true,
And you're my...
Baby blue,
Baby blue,
Baby blue,
Blue.
Baby blue,
Baby blue.

You can hear a demo of the song at http://www.timcardingallen.plus.com/filetransfer/babyblue.htm.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.