A fundraiser used by small non-profit and community groups, in which baked goods such as cookies, cake, rice krispie treats and banana bread are sold to passersby in a public place.

In the good old days, bake sales featured homemade brownies, cookies, and so on, which were donated by members of the group. Modern bake sales tend to include homemade goodies among store-bought items including bagels and cream cheese, Entenmann's doughnuts, and Pepperidge Farm's Milano cookies.

Bake Sale by Sebadoh
© 1994 - Sub Pop Records

Track List

  1. License to Confuse
  2. Careful
  3. Magnet's Coil
  4. Not A Friend
  5. Not Too Amused
  6. Dreams
  7. Skull
  8. Got It
  9. S. Soup
  10. Give Up
  11. Rebound
  12. Mystery Man
  13. Temptation Tide
  14. Drama Mine
  15. Together or Alone

This is the CD that introduced me to Sebadoh, and its my favorite. The songs all have lyrics that just about anyone with an artistic soul can relate to. They are depressing and sad and happy and wonderful all at once without being somber, pretentious, or boring. This CD came along at the right point in my life. I needed music like this to pick me up and make me feel like I was not alone. I had just broken up with my fiance, was close to flunking out of college, and totally miserable. It's amazing how music can save you.

The recording is lo-fi without sounding crappy, like some of their previous recordings. Stand-out tracks are "Magnet's Coil", "Rebound", and "Together or Alone".

It's debatable if the title is spelled Bake Sale or BakeSale with no space between the words. I decided to go with the space.

The general idea behind a bake sale is thus: You have an organization or group that wants to raise money. Rally some members or sympathizers and get each of them to donate a batch of some baked good. Typical fare includes cookies and cupcakes, but can vary with the creativity of the group.

Then, you find yourself a table in a prominent location--a building entrance or busy hallway. Set up the goodies and sell them to passers by.

The bake sale is a good way for a small group to raise some money. The cost is a minimal monetary outlay by the members and a little time. The return varies, but it's pretty easy to make one or two hundred dollars, depending on the sweet tooths of the passers-by.

A tip for those organizing a bake sale: forget about putting prices on items. Sell everything "by donation". Most people will pay a little more than the price you probably would have put on the items. Some generous souls will think of it as a donation to your wonderful cause and give you much more. "By donation" bake sales make a lot more than ones with prices, in my experience. You might reconsider if you're targetting a particularly cheap group. :-)

As far as I'm concerned, the big benefit is that you're providing something useful. Sure, some will complain about their waistline, but who doesn't want a cupcake to top off their lunch? This is contrast to the fund raising schemes that involve selling crappy "chocolate" for $5 a box or ugly nick-knacks. Nobody wants that crap, they're just buying it because they feel guilty. On top of that, the company that organizes the whole thing for you takes most of the profit, leaving the group doing the work with a shockingly thin cut.

So, go have a bake sale. Preferably near my office, because there aren't nearly enough here. :-)

A Superburrito for Every Student!

I, like many other high school students, am a devoted bake sale patron. The products are relatively cheap, often homemade, and regardless will always satisfy that midday caffeine and sugar fix. I have grown to depend on their presence; if I ever forget to bring my lunch, rather than brave the perils of cafeteria food, I’ll head on over to that reliable table just outside the café. Apparently, this is becoming a widespread phenomenon, to the extent that my school cafeteria is running a large deficit. Hence the dilemma – the bake sales are simply too successful, and are luring students’ dollars away from the school. Rumor has it that my school administration is considering placing a ban on all bake sale activities.

So what is to be done? Perhaps we could place a tax on bake sale profits. However, not only would this drain needed funds directly from student run organizations, it would refuel the system that is providing everyone with that army surplus food to begin with. Also, the tax could prove to be counterproductive: clubs would be forced to have more bake sales to cover their expenses, and with more bake sales, who needs the café? So will the unfortunate students of BHS be compelled to suffer the hazards of the lunchroom? No need to despair, says our resident benevolent social planner.

Mr. Glaunigger, AP Economics teacher extraordinaire, proposes a solution that appeals to the school’s wallet and our taste budsOutsource to Anna’s Taqueria!

As we all know, cafeteria food is hardly appealing, and barely nutritious. So given any option whatsoever, whether bake sales, White Hen, or a top-secret Anna’s run, students will pass the tatertots for the alternative. Now, the school is probably not capable of improving the quality of the food, and has recently even had to raise the price of a meal by a full quarter. Thus, if the school had Anna’s or another highly economical yet tasty substitute cater to the cafeteria, it could very well be profitable.

Now technically, all food sold within a school receiving government aid must meet some basic nutrition standards. Bake sales ought to be illegal by government health codes, for the same reasons that our vending machines now only purvey those inedible baked potato chips and bland fruitsicles.

But Anna’s can most certainly be healthy! In one, say, grilled chicken quesadilla without any trimmings, all five major food groups are represented: grains (tortilla), vegetables (guacamole), fruits (tomatoes in the salsa),dairy (cheese and sour cream), and protein (chicken). All this for a mere $3.00, minus the bulk discount! Compare this to the $2.25 we shell out for spicy chicken burgers and mashed potatoes, (which incidentally only gives you protein and carbs…) Also, this arrangement wouldn’t be all that unusual for our school; Anna’s has catered many events, including the All-Night Party and sports dinners. But why stop there? Perhaps we could get a variety of prepared foods, such as Gregory’s, Redbones, and better salad options. With new consumers undoubtedly drawn into the school lunch market, the school could even charge a little more and turn a profit, part of which could subsidize free lunches.

In addition to the obvious benefits, having Anna’s cater would also loose some positive externalities on us all. Staffing needs would decrease, freeing up more money for better purposes. The number of illegal activities, such as desperate students running, driving, or tunneling off campus for food, would decrease. General hostility towards the school administration might be replaced with gratitude. As Mr. G sagely says, “more choice is better than less choice.” Well put, Mr. G. Well put.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.