A moderate sized constrictor. Normally 4-6 feet long. Found in Togo and Ghana in west Africa. Soon to be endangered species because of farming for the pet trade.

Very docile snake that will rarely bite. Named for its behavior of rolling into a ball when frightened. Very good beginner snake except for a tendency to be finicky eaters. Normal colors are black with tan/brown markings on it's sides. Many new color morphs have recently been proven adding to the ball python's popularity.

Python regius: a breed of python that will curl up tightly when threatened. Commonly about 3 feet long.
I took care of a ball python named Original Sin over winter break my freshman year in college. His owner told me that he would probably only eat once in that month, and ate live mice. My sister was horrified.
When it seemed the snake should be hungry, we got 3 mice (feed mice) and put them in the tank. I named them Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. My sister was horrified. She hit me.
Sin was not interested. Eventually, i left them in the tank as i went away for a couple of hours. When i came back, the mice had started munching on the snake! I was horrified.
Sin survived. Soon after i fed him a dead Lunch, he got a little less timid, and started to molt. The sores on his back made it a little difficult for him.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.