Ingredients:
  • Half a gallon of water
  • chopped bananas (preferebly the saba variety (sorry, only know the Tagalog term).
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar.

    Boil water. Add bananas. Wait until the bananas are slightly soft. Add sugar to taste. Serve.

    Note: Banana soup is more like dessert than soup, but is is real. I ate a lot of it when I was a kid.

  • Here's a recipe for a weird soup I made when having an odd craving for bananas *and* savouryness. Fast becoming a favourite, and known as "Five continent soup", "Yellow soup" and "Notbanana" to the people who've tried it.

    4 small bananas, of the ordinary Windward Islands, dessert, yellow kind.
    1 vegetable stock cube
    1 large pinch “S+B Oriental Curry Powder
    Scraps of one butternut squash (The fleshy bit from around the seeds that normally gets thrown out because it’s a faff to cut up)
    ½ red chilli
    1 red pepper
    1 handful coriander
    Pinch of black pepper
    Some turmeric

    Slice the bananas thinly, and boil in about a litre of water, with the stock cube and the curry powder (If you can’t get S+B, use ordinary cheap curry powder and a little bit of five spice) until mushy. Blend up, and add turmeric until it looks good and yellow (The colour is really offputting at this point. Sort of like wallpaper paste.)

    Julienne the squash, and fry it with the chilli in a bit of olive oil, until it’s nice and crisp on the outside. Add the pepper, and fry until done as well. Add to the banana soup.

    Add the coriander and simmer for five minutes or so, until the squash is cooked through. Add pepper to taste.

    Serves one, with leftovers which can be diluted almost infinitely to provide more soup. Recipe can be multiplied up pretty easily, and works perfectly well with bananas that are beyond the point of eating otherwise.


    Happy cooking!

    Part of Devilfloss' Vegetarian Cookbook: A Simple and Accurate Guide To The Revolution

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.