Barbershops are places where people get their hair cut. They aren't as fancy as salons or as health spas. They normally have a barbershop pole outside which looks like a big rotating candy cane. They used to also shave customers and shine their shoes, but this is becoming less and less common.

Barbershop also refers to a sytle of singing that includes four men singing simple harmonies a capella. It consists of the Lead who sings the main melody, Tenor who sings above the Lead, a Bass who sings the bottom notes, and a Baritone who fills in notes to make complete chords. Called barbershop because many people sang it in barbershops, on curbs (barbershop is also known at curbstone harmony), or wherever. Since CD's, 8-tracks, MP3's, and vinyl did not exist at the time, people learned to make their own music. SPEBSQSA is the largest organization that promotes barbershop quartet singing.
A film, released by MGM on Friday the 13th in September of 2002. It stars Ice Cube and Cedric the Entertainer among its ensemble cast.

The film focuses on a barbershop in Chicago (probably the south side) in a poor black neighborhood. The best part of the movie, IMHO is the witty dialogue and frank discussions which occur among the customers and workers. Various issues, such as sex, the Civil Rights Movement, reparations for slavery, and the importance of tradition are covered or discussed in the confines of the barbershop. The particularly notable thing is the fact that these discussions aren't just some liberal chorus of agreement, and many politically incorrect, and even uncomfortable things are said regarding these issues and people. Sometimes the truth hurts. It is quite funny. One of the rare films that actually made me laugh out loud.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.