I accompanied my mother on an ill-fated trip to the UK- her first trip abroad... I really wanted to enjoy it with her, but alas, it was less than optimal. I found myself stuck in the middle of the kind of tour group that I'd often scoffed at in the past... It was organized by an ignorant, overzealous, painfully American, uber-tourist Polly Anna, whom I very nearly strangled by the end of the trip. I don't think I've ever had so many violent fatasies about one person... but that's another node. We no doubt spent at least half our time bouncing around pitifully in the back of the world's most uncomfortable coach (think mobile clothes dryer for humans.) She thought it was perfectly reasonable to take in Old Sarum, Salisbury, Stonehenge and Windsor, then drive to London and see Les Mis in one day...I shit you not. Passing any train station during that week was an exercise in extreme self-control.

After that tourismo week from hell, upon arriving at my cousin's posh flat in Camden she quietly led me through the living room and into her bedroom. She gestured up the spiral iron staircase as she handed me a huge white bath sheet... Well, my cousin, being the Pisces queen that she is, had up those spiral stairs, a bathroom fit for a goddess. A loftish room with a slanted roof that contained a most gorgeous cobalt blue bathtub lined with candles, heated towel rack and big double windows that opened into the perfect soft night. Luckily I had stopped at a LUSH shop (in Bath of all places) and availed myself of half a dozen tasty soaps, three kinds of shampoo, facial scrub, et cetera, and several luscious bath bombs...

By the time I had filled my bath, lit the candles and the steam was curling up languidly, my cousin had brought me a glass of chardonnay. In dropped my most precious bath bomb. It was an explosion of color and fizzle and aroma... it literally propelled itself around the bath tub like an out of control alka-seltzer. The water was transformed into an ambrosia for the body, complete with sparkly glitter which clung to my skin through three showers. Sitting in that candlelit tub, drinking wine and soaking in that effervescent delight wore away the hideous experiences of my week like voodoo. That bath was one of the highlights of my trip...

Bath Bombs are so kickass.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.