This recipe can also be made using catfish (which is very fishy), flounder, or red snapper, and probably others, although I won't attest to methods I haven't tried myself. DO NOT USE MONKFISH- MONKFISH IS WEIRD, and is better broiled than fried IMNSHO.

INGREDIENTS:

the fish:
  • four large boneless and skinless fillets of tilapia (tilapia usually comes this way.)
the batter (it's fine to combine these as you go.):
  • one round-topped cup of flour
  • two T. paprika
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • 1/2 t. onion powder
  • 1 t. white pepper
  • Old Bay seasoning (just shake some on there)
  • Lawry's Seasoned Salt (same thing- it's all about how salty you like it, and since the fish will be soaking in soy sauce, you won't need much.)
  • (biggish) dash dried mustard (optional)
  • 1/2 t.-1 t. chili powder (this is really up to you. do you like hot food?)
the marinade (it's fine to mix these as you go as well.):
  • 1/2 c. soy sauce (I use low-sodium kikkoman's)
  • 1/4 c. teriyaki sauce
  • juice of 1/2 lemon (I've also used lime- this is also good)
  • (I usually cut up some chives and ginger and throw them in the sauce, too, but they're not necessary)

METHOD: This is really easy. Combine the liquids in a wide, flat, high-lipped container big enough to lay the fish pretty much flat in. Once you've got them all in there, lay the fish in a single layer. The sauce may not cover the fish completely. This is okay, as you'll flip them in a bit.

Stuff the fish in the fridge to marinate and combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir them with a fork or something handy, whatever is around. After the fish has been in the fridge for about a half an hour, take it out, flip it over, and stuff it back in for another half an hour.

After an hour of soaking in salty goodness, heat up a large skillet with plenty (enough to cover the bottom on the pan in a thick layer) of yummy oil (I use extra virgin olive oil). Pull the fillets out one by one, let them drip for a second. If they're too wet, the flour mix will get gooey and slide around on the fish. Dredge the fish fillets in the flour until they're fully covered, and toss 'em into the sizzling oil.

Cook the fish for a couple of minutes, until the flour turns a nice golden color. Then flip them and cook again for a couple of minutes. The fish is done when it flakes if you put a fork in it and twist. Place the fish on a plate covered with a paper towel to let it drain slightly (it'll be really greasy at first), and serve immediately. Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.