However, many feminist ethicists have critiqued the basis of dualism and any other dualistic, binary system such as this one on the grounds that, under this system of thought, things are not only one part of the binary pair but each of the two parts of the pair are given differing values.

For example, the example of good/bad is clear. A person is clearly either completely good or bad under a binary system, not anywhere in between. However, not only does this system the ability of actualization of people as possibily a combination of both, it also lays judgement as to the relative value of each part of the pair. Good is beneficial, bad is detrimental.

Feminist ethicists claim that this happens with all bianry pairs, including mind/body, male/female, rational/emotional. They also claim that the relative value of the each part of the pairs are related ... generally, the attribute named second carries negetive relative value and is related to all other atrributes named second in binary pairs. For example, a woman is bad, emotional, and related to the body. Man is good, rational, and related to the mind. Feminists claim that this frame of thought, while subconscious, is inherent in any binary system and must be avoided at all costs. Therefore, they support either deconstruction or redefinition.

There has been much controversy over the validity of this critique, but it has been a very philosophically and sociologically motivating factor in discussions of binary opposites in recent years.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.