A microbiological agent which is capable of replication and has the capacity to produce deleterious effects upon other biological organisms, particularly humans.

A friend of mine once overheard someone in a bar order a drink by the name of Biohazard. It was a mixed drink, light blue in colour, served in a tall glass.

Upon serving, the bartender cracked an egg into the glass. As the egg yolk sank to the bottom of the glass, the drink turned clear, while the yolk turned green. The patron then drank it. My friend finished his drink and left. Quickly.

If someone with a well-stocked liquor cabinet and a yen for experimentation could figure this one out, please share. Blue curaçao seems a likely starting point.

Biohazard, a hardcore band, was founded in 1988 by Brooklyn natives Billy Graziadei (vocals, guitars), Bobby Hambel (guitars), Evan Seinfeld (vocals, bass) and Danny Schuler (drums). They formed the band to express their political views, and to make others aware of the problems facing urban youth. All members had experienced the hard life of Brooklyn first hand, so being in the band kept them from getting (back) into trouble.

They released their self-titled debut album in 1990 on Maze Records. Although the production left much to be desired, the album featured 13 hardcore metal songs about their experiences from living in Brooklyn. Because of their energetic live shows, the band quickly became a favorite with the crowds, and the fanbase started growing.

The band didn't go unnoticed to Roadrunner Records, with who they signed a deal. In 1992, Urban Discipline was released, becoming an instant classic in the history of metal. Not only was the production a lot better then on the debut album, but the lyrics were more agressive, the music was harder, preparing the world for similar bands. The album included fan-favorite songs such as Business, Tears Of Blood, and a remake from their debut album of Wrong Side Of The Tracks.

In 1994, Biohazard signed with Warner Music, which was a bit strange since the song Business (from Urban Discipline) deals with big record companies that try to suck as much money out of bands as possible. Nevertheless, in 1994 they released the follow-up to Urban Discipline, titled State Of The World Address. The album was much in the line of its predecessor. One new element was added to their sound: hiphop. Biohazard had already cooperated with hiphop act Onyx on one of Onyx' songs, and once again for the Judgement Night soundtrack. State Of The World Address featured Cypress Hill's rapper Sen Dog on guest vocals, and a hiphop version of the song was released as a single.

"Biohazard is and will always be..." was the questionable line in the State Of The World Address booklet. After the tour for that album had ended, guitarist Bobby Hambel left the band because of differences with the other band members. Biohazard continued as a trio and released Mata Leao in 1996. This album was more punk-like then the previous albums, with shorter and faster songs, and angered quite a few fans. Sales for the album were not what Warner Music expected, so they were dropped by the record company.
After they recorded the album, Rob Echeverria was recruited as the new guitarist, and in 1997 the live album No Holds Barred was released on Roadrunner Records, and perfectly demonstrated why Biohazard were always successful in concerts.

For their 1999 album New World Disorder, they once again had changed record labels, this time to Mercury Records. The line-up was the same as on No Holds Barred, but the sound was more in the line of Urban Discipline and State Of The World Address, as opposed to the more punk-like Mata Leao.

2000 saw the release of Tales From The B-Side, a collection of rare tracks and remixes. This album is only available through mail order and at live shows. Rob Echeverria left the band, and was replaced by Leo Curley, and a new album can be expected in 2001.

Discography:
1990: Biohazard
1992: Urban Discipline
1994: State Of The World Address
1996: Mata Leao
1997: No Holds Barred
1999: New World Disorder
2000: Tales Of The B-Sides

 
Tracklisting for the self-titled debut album:

Biohazard is the Japanese name for the computer game Resident Evil and it's sequels. The name was changed for legal reasons, as the band Biohazard owned the trademark for the name in America and Europe.

Pipe linked: For her pleasure
Biohazards are denoted thus:
  
                                  __    __
                             _wr""        "-q__
                           _dP                 9m_
                         _#P                     9#_
                        d#@                       9#m
                       d##                         ###
                      J###                         ###L
                      {###K                       J###K
                      ]####K       __aaa__       J####F
                  __gmM######_   #P""   ""9#m  _d#####Mmw__
               _g##############m,_         __,##############m_
             _d####M@PPPP@@M#######Mmp gm#########@@PPP9@M####m_
            a###""            "#####@" '######"            ""M##m
           J#@"             0_  "*##     ##@"  J#              *#K
          ,#"               `#    "_gmwgm_~    dF               `#_
          7F                 "#_   ]#####F   _dK                 JE
          ]                    *m_  #####  _g@"                   F
                                 "  #####  "
                                   0######_
                                 _0########_
               .               _d#####^#####m__              ,
                "*w_________am#####P"   ~9#####mw_________w*"
                    ""9@#####@M""           ""P@#####@M""

The symbol was designed in 1966 by Dow Chemical and Charles Baldwin. It should be high- or blaze-orange, or yellow if printed on red biohazard bags.

Biohazard is a special classification of medical and laboratory refuse characterized by the presence of infectious waste or otherwise potentially dangerous biological material.

Biohazardous waste is placed in impermeable multi-ply red plastic bags or, in the case of needles, broken glassware, or other pointy bits, specially designed sharps containers. It is often incinerated or subjected to other sterilization techniques prior to burial at designated sites.

Sterilization is achieved by bringing the contaminated material to 121ºC for 30 minutes or by microwave irradiation. Sterilization efficacy must be proved periodically by running test cultures of Bacillus stearothermophilus or other approved species or strains through the equipment.

In the case of large items deemed to be low risk (animal carcasses, amputated human limbs, human anatomical waste, etc.) direct burial is permitted provided interment guidelines are followed regarding the depth of the trench, presence of lime, securing the site from scavengers, etc.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.