This monochrome dish is a graphic design undergraduate invention for color class. (Is that irony?) It's heavy on the contrast and tasty to boot. I had not even thought about it until I saw the B/W Recipe Quest. The key to the colorlessness here is the use of black bean paste in the place of tomato paste for the cheese-to-bread glue.

NOUNS

  • 1 10-ounce/300 gram can all-ready pizza dough
  • 2 15-ounce/450 gram can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 tablespoons/45 milliliters olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon/5 milliliters freshly ground cumin
  • 8 ounces/250 grams shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 8 ounces/250 grams sliced Kalamata olives
  • 3 cloves chopped garlic
  • Black Pepper
  • VERBS

    1. Preheat oven to 425° F/220° C/Gas Mark 7.
    2. Lighty oil a 12"/30 cm pizza pan (or 9x12"/20x30cm baking dish).
    3. Flatten dough in pan to edges.
    4. Bake for 7-10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
    5. In a food processor combine one can of the beans, oil, cumin, and garlic.
    6. Process until smooth. (You'll have to keep mushing the stuff down from the edges, and a rubber spatula works best.)
    7. Spread bean paste across the partially cooked dough, leaving a grip edge.
    8. Sprinkle the cheese on top, leaving a rim for the black bean paste to show.
    9. Arrange olives and the remaining can of black beans over the top.
    10. Bake for additional 7-12 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
    11. Remove the pizza from the oven and freshly crush pepper over the top.
    12. Let cool.

    Post 2004-2005 NYE b/w food ball review, /msged from bane221:
    Was accepted with mixed results but all extremes: Loved or Hated. Olives and black beans are such a unique flavor. Thanks!

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.