Blaff is a Caribbean dish. Sometimes it is like a fish stew, and sometimes it is made with fruit or vegetables. In this recipe, it is just fish cooked in a spicy, tasty broth.

The name probably comes from a Dominican pronunciation of "broth", but some people say it comes from the sound that the fish make when they're cooking in the pot.


BLAFF

4 small red snappers, scaled and cleaned with the heads on
2/3 cup scallions, minced
6 allspice berries, crushed
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 HabaƱero chile, whole, but pierced
1/2 cup lime juice
1 1/2 quarts water
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper

Marinate the fish for an hour in a bowl with salt and pepper, half the allspice, 1 garlic clove, half the lime juice, and enough of the water to completely cover the fish.

When ready to cook, place all of the remaining ingredients except the other half of lime juice and fish in a heavy pot and boil, covered, for about five minutes. Place the fish in the pot (discard the marinade) and allow the liquid to return to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for five or ten minutes - just long enough for the fish to flake lightly with a fork. Remove the fish and add the rest of the lime juice to the pot. Bring the liquid back to a boil for 2 or 3 minutes. Discard the chili pepper, and pour the liquid over the fish. Serve with rice.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.