The idea of the blank generation goes back at least to the 50s, and probably no further, that generation being the first to experience existential angst as a whole. Also the title of a good punk song by Richard Hell from the late 70s. Its funny that people are constantly hyping this 'no values' 'slacker'ism as the New Thing when every generation for a while has been going through this before they settled down and realized its all about MONEY.

Song on the 1977 Richard Hell and the Voidoids album of the same name.

I belong to the blank generation
And I can take it or leave it each time
Well, I belong to the...generation
But I can take it or leave it each time

(music and lyrics by Richard Hell)

According to Hell:

People misread what I meant by 'Blank Generation.' To me, 'blank' is a line where you can fill in anything. It's positive. It's the idea that you have the option of making yourself anything you want, filling in the blank. And that's something that provides a uniquely powerful sense to this generation. It's saying, 'I entirely reject your standards for judging my behavior.' And I support that entirely."

(The ellipses in the third line of each chorus is an actual vocal pause, representing that blank for the listener to fill in)

The Richard Hell song is actually a reworked version of a novelty song sendup of beatnik-ism called "Beat Generation" by none other than kitsch poet Rod McKuen and Bob McFadden in the early 1960s.

I can't seem to find the durn lyrics anywheres (anyone help?) though I have the song on a tape somewhere so if I ever find it I'll transpose them here, cos they're a hoot.

I remember only this: "I belong to the beat generation, and I don't let anything trouble my mind..."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.