More specifically, this jargon term comes to us from the "Logopolis" episode of Doctor Who. Part I of "Logopolis" first aired on the BBC on February 28, 1981. (For you men who might have hard time remembering this episode, let me remind you it was the episode that gave us our first peak at Dr. Who companion and flight attendant Tegan Jovanka... oh right, that episode.)

Doctor Who, tiring a bit over his TARDIS' fixed call box exterior, decides maybe his chameleon circuit could use some fixing. However, to fix the circuit, he needs to perform some Block Transfer Computations. These computations are so complex, no computer can handle it. The only way they can be done is using the services of a mathematically adept monk-like people called the Logopolians. The math monks of Logopolis perform these computations by meditation and very loud chanting. An acropolis-like building called the Central Registry handles the inputs and outputs of the math monks.

Doctor Who trusts his precious TARDIS with the math monks because in all of Logopolis' recorded history, their math monks have never made a single error. Until now. See, the Master threw a spanner into the works! And what a spanner. The Master is trying to destroy the Logopoians in an attempt to destroy the universe.

The deal is Block Transfer Computations consulting services are only a side line. Unknown to most, the math monks have been keeping entropy in check. Their calculations allow excess entropy to be siphoned off and dumped into other universes. What those other universes have to say about this is never explained. Apparently some universes are uninhabited and make good landfill or else they're run much like Nigeria and gladly accept waste entropy for large under-the-table pay outs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.