Blue is also used to refer to a type of humor that is raunchy or refers to sex or bodily functions. A "Blue Comedian" will do lots of "Blue Material"

I don't know why or how this came about, it just is.
A color charge carried by some quarks and some gluons.
Its antithesis is anti-blue. Meaning that:

blue + anti-blue = white (or color neutral)

see Quantum Chromodynamics

In the world of statistics, blue stands for Best Linear Unbiased Estimator. This is an estimate of a population parameter that is, essentially, better than other estimators of that paramater. For example, of the various measures of central tendency, the mean is blue, the others are not.

Why so many blue songs? Oh well... here's another one, this time from Seatbelts with Yamane Mai on vocals, lyrics by Tim Jensen and orchestration by Yoko Kanno. This is the final song from Cowboy Bebop and the lyrics pretty much sum up the underlying metaphysical notions of the series. It is available on the third OST to the series, aptly titled Blue.

Never seen a bluer sky
Yeah I can feel it reaching out
and moving closer
There's something 'bout blue

Asked myself what's it all for
You know the funny thing about it
I couldn't answer
No, I couldn't answer

Things have turned a deeper shade of blue
and images that might be real
may be illusion
Keep flashing off and on

Free...
Wanna be free, Gonna be free...
and move along the stars
You know they really aren't so far

Feels so free...
Gotta know free...
Please...
Don't wake me from the dream
It's really everything it seemed

I'm so free...
No black and white in the blue

Everything is clearer now
Life is just a dream, you know
that's never ending
I'm ascending

As a side note, the final tag to the series, "YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT" is from The Beatles' "Carry That Weight/The End" from Abbey Road.

I've seen buckets of anime. Buckets. Never has the end to a series affected me so. I was so completely unprepared for what transpired during the last two episodes of Cowboy Bebop that I sat glued to the couch, trying to comprehend the full meaning of the events that had just happened. Sure, Evangelion was twisted and Escaflowne was sad, but the final curve that Bebop takes is at once beautiful and tragic. Whenever I hear this song (it's on heavy rotation on my Winamp list), I get the same teary-eyed blubbery feeling I got during the very last minutes of that series.

KANJI: SEI SHOU ao (blue, green, young)

ASCII Art Representation:

                      %%,,
                      %%%%"             ,,
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,%%%%,,,,,,,,,,,,,%%%%,
     """""""""""""""""%%%%""""""""""""""""""
                      %%%%             ,,
     ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,%%%%,,,,,,,,,,,,%%%%,
      """"""""""""""""%%%%"""""""""""""""""
                      %%%%                  ,,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,%%%%,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,%%%%,
 """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
          ,,                       ,,
          %%%%,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,%%%%,
          %%%%""""""""""""""""""""%%%%"
          %%%%                    %%%%
          %%%%,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,%%%%
          %%%%""""""""""""""""""""%%%%
          %%%%                    %%%%
          %%%%,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,%%%%
          %%%%""""""""""""""""""""%%%%
          %%%%                    %%%%
          %%%%                    %%%%
          %%%%                   ,%%%%
          %%%%              """%%%%%%"
          "%%"                  "%%%"

Character Etymology:

The top radical is a simplified version of the character for life. The bottom character is a simplified version of a character meaning bowl or receptacle (not moon!). The two meanings of the characters combine to express growth around a full well, which has connotations of being fresh and green. Green overlaps conceptually with blue, and also has a figurative association with immature and young (as in English).

Other facts:

In Japan, bananas are said to ripen from being blue (aoi) to yellow (kiiroi).

A Listing of All On-Yomi and Kun-Yomi Readings:

on-yomi: SEI SHOU
kun-yomi: ao

Nanori Readings:

Nanori: o

English Definitions:

  1. SEI, SHOU: blue, green; green light.
  2. ao(mu): turn green.
  3. ao(bamu): turn greenish, be tinged with green.
  4. ao(i): blue, green; pale; unripe, green, inexperienced.
  5. ao-: unripe; new; immature; novice; blue; green.

Character Index Numbers:

New Nelson: 6557
Henshall: 43

Unicode Encoded Version:

Unicode Encoded Compound Examples:

(aozora): blue sky.
青物 (aomono): greens, vegetables.
青年男女 (seinen danjo): young men and women.

  Previous: life  |  Japanese Kanji  |  Next: evening

Blue is slang for an umpire at amateur baseball and softball games in the United States and Canada. This comes from the color of their clothing, navy blue athletic shorts and a blue short-sleeved button down shirt and blue hat.

usage: “Hey blue, wasn’t that pitch a little outside?”
Blue is the first film in a trilogy known as "Three Colours," the two films following being White and then Red, the colors of the French flag. Director Krzysztof Kieslowski essentially created art on film with this trilogy, each full of colour, symbolism and poignant storylines.

Blue centers on a woman (played by actress Juliette Binoche) coping with the tragic aftermath of a car accident in which she lost both her husband and her daughter. A primary theme present in the film consists of how an individual deals with the death of loved ones. The stylistic techniques that Kieslowski employs reinforce the protagonist’s distressing conflicts by utilizing color, sound, and non-linear narrative. Julie, the main character, suffers sorrow and confusion as she attempts to sort out the fragments of her life, and Blue’s somber-colored mise-en-scene combined with intense musical sound skillfully reflects Julie’s emotions, displaying the pain of loss with incredible beauty- a sort of "rhapsody in Blue", if you will.

The film begins with an onslaught of azure color. While a car drives through a quiet stretch of land, both the sky and the ground are made to appear in different shades of blue (surprise!). The foggy, depressing colors surrounding the vehicle significantly foreshadow the accident about to take place. Once the crash occurs, a boy runs up to the steaming car, and the smoke emanating from the wreck even appears faintly blue in the landscape, as if the tragedy of the accident was radiating from the automobile.

Kieslowski’s use of monochromatic color design at the start of the film sets up its relevancy for the rest of the movie. Not only does the shade of blue haunt and pervade Julie’s world afterwards, demonstrating how the memory of that tragic morning continues to remain with her, but also the dramatic color supports the sorrowful, bleak and sometimes ambiguous narrative.

The blue coloring brilliantly manipulated within the cinematography cues the viewer to concentrate on particularly eye-catching images, directing one to take in the significance of the catastrophic upheaval and hurt in Julie’s life. For instance, shortly after the wreck she is shown eating a large piece of blue candy. This image of Julie shoving the hard color down her throat reinforces the idea that she is consuming, and is consumed by the pain she has been dealt.

Another example of this is the pool Julie swims in once she moves out of her home. Pools are normally blue, but the incredible luminous color in this pool appears abnormally bright. The utilization of the color here directs the viewer to scan the two-dimensional space and notice how powerfully it fills the frame. Here, Julie essentially bathes in the tragedy, still swimming in the pain of the accident.

The color continues to invade Julie’s world through reflections and glass, such as the blue that effuses out of the chandelier she carries from her old house into her new apartment. The chandelier is the first thing she hangs up, demonstrating how she still holds onto her former life. Also, in several moments blue is reflected in windows around Julie, as though even the light shining in her contains only melancholy. Kieslowski’s application of color in this way interrupts the idea of the diegetic world, because the viewer is not sure whether the color shining as blue is actually Julie’s perception or if it is meant to appear only to those watching the film. This confusion in the diegesis works artistically in a very un-Classical Hollywood-like manner and also reflects the idea of Julie’s agitation. The director’s purposeful disturbance of her world forces the viewer to experience distraction and tumult as she does.

The confusion and sense of tragic loss is reinforced also through the occasional bursts of orchestral music in the film. When combined with the color palette of cool tones, it comes across doubly effective and creates artistically crafted, ambiguous scenes.

For example, the scene where Julie first wakes in a chair after the accident, a sudden blast of orchestra music is heard and a blue light glows all around her and glares through the windows. Though the scene is brief, the viewer is caught off guard by such a sudden break in linearity. Does Julie hear the composed music of her dead husband? Or do only those watching the film hear it? And once again, does she visualize this quick suffusion of blue in the room she sits in? Kieslowski utilizes both color and sound here without regarding whether or not it fits a realistic world in order to reinforce the emotions of the protagonist.

Another inventive way the filmmaker employs sound is the moments when Julie reads the sheet music composed by her husband. The first instance this is done, soft piano music is heard as she reads the notes, and blue color is again reflected on her face. The piano notes sound appropriately bare, alone, slow and sad. The slow music combined with the color on her face again reflects her state of mind. Another instance where this tactic is effectively applied is when she finds the compositions she plans on throwing away. A resounding chorus is heard as a finger passes over the notes on the page, and the compelling sound continues to be heard as Julie walks outside and throws the sheet music into a trash compactor. The chorus voices die as the pages are destroyed, artfully illustrating how the music is disappearing from human eyes and ears because of the pain Julie feels from hearing or seeing her dead husband’s creation.

The culmination of these artistic manipulations occurs during the last few scenes of the movie as well. Once Julie has learned about her husband’s affair and gives his former lover their old home, she is shown reading her husband Patrice's music in her home. The sound of the music is heard as loud and arresting as before, but there are no black outs, suggesting that Julie is working through the pain. The music continues as she goes to visit Olivier, a friend of theirs, and also as they make love, demonstrating audibly the power of emotions she feels as she connects once more to a man who was also once close to Patrice.

Kieslowski’s Blue is an artistic masterpiece that employs the potency of color and music in outstanding ways. How one copes with the utterly tragic loss of one’s family is a major theme in the film, and by crafting the mise-en-scene with striking blue shades as well as utilizing music in inventive manners, the filmmaker reinforces the theme gorgeously.

This is probably quite obviously one of my favourite films ever.

The films White and Red are equally brilliant, and are best watched in consecutive order- though they don't have to be in order to fully comprehend them. In each movie, be sure to watch as characters from the other films in the trilogy pop up in a scene or two.

A Blue is also slang for a mild(ish) form of amphetamines/speed, named for the colour of the pill; which used to be available from chemists.

The characters in The Who's movie Quadrophenia take these often in the film.
The colour of the sky and ocean, blue is dreamy, spiritual and a colour of depth. On the contrary, it is also often associated with feelings of depression and sadness. Generally, in most Western countries, blue depicts masculinity, calm and authority. China links blue with strength and power, Japan sees blue as a colour of villainy. In the Middle East front doors are sometimes painted blue as the colour is thought to bring protection and ward off evil spirits.

Apart from its ability to calm the human mind, blue is also an appetite suppresant. Dying food blue or eating off a blue plate are tactics used by people hoping to lose weight, yet this may not be fully effective as blue doesn't stimulate a person's metabolism; it will often do the opposite. Blue food is rare in nature so this effect may be evolutionary -- we have no automatic appetite response to blue, and millions of years ago our ancestors considered blue, purple and black to be warning signs of poisonous food.

In recent times, food companies have started dying their products blue in hope to make them more appealing (Think of blue M&Ms, Heinz fries and those twisties which turn your tongue blue). These products probably sell so well because they're different, something new and would probably not sell so well if the novelty wasn't there. As blue is often considered pleasant and can suggest cleanliness, it is widely used in advertising. The fact that the colour is not as obtrusive as colours like red makes it an ideal choice for company logos.

Blue flowers, such as forget-me-nots or violets, are symbols of fidelity. Light blue candles portray truth, inspiration, wisdom, protection, inner peace and yet again, fidelity. Darker shades of blue connotate loyalty and expansion but should be used with caution.

During a dream blue generally represents the attitude to life, art, culture, religion and spirituality. Light blue links itself with hope and faith when encountered in a dream. Dark blue often shows a negative attitude on life, but this is not always the case.

In this day and age, blue is America's favourite colour. This may suggest a desire for calm or even represent widespread depression ;) but its most likely seen simply as a pleasant and soothing colour. Interestingly, sky blue is usually the preferred shade of women, whereas men take more of a liking to spectrum blue.

It is said that those who have a profound liking for blue are trusting and require trust, responsible, reliable and can be somewhat perfectionists. People who dislike blue may have an urge to break away from a repetitive lifestyle and can be linked with restlessness. Some may simply view it as depressing.

During the middle ages, a dull blue was the colour of servants and people of lower class. However, these days blue can suggest authority and power - in most countries police wear a blue uniform.

References cited:
http://pages.ivillage.com/centauristar/candlecolors.html
http://library.thinkquest.org/50065
http://webexhibits.org/pigments/indiv/color/blues.html
http://www.colormatters.com
http://www.pantone.com/products/products.asp?idArticle=128&idArea=16

Blue (1993) - Weasello Rating: {>>>>} (Awesome!) {{ Sequel }}
Please note that this review is laden with spoilers.

Body count: A common thread to my movie reviews is a body count. For compatabilities sake, I recorded 2 dead bodies in this movie. Not actually pictured, nor is the death televised, but it is implied and caskets are seen. No blood, no gore - the worst of this movie is some baby mice.

Outline: Blue is a movie that my girlfriend was recommended by a fellow video-store-goer. This particular movie was the winner of Best Picture and Best Actress (Juliette Binoche) at the 1993 Venice Film Festival. But more importantly, this is the first movie of a trilogy - "Three Colors." Other movies in the trilogy are White and Red; when all three colors are put together, they are the colors of the French flag. Each movie is associated with the corresponding meaning of the flag's colors; The origional (and region-specific title) to this movie is "Trois couleurs: Bleu," but in it's many translations and releases it has several somewhat similar names.

The best plot summary I can muster with my own words doesn't compare with what comes from the back of the box. Paraphrased: "Julie (Juliette Binoche) is devastated when both her husband, an internationally renowned composer, along with their young daughter, are killed in a car crash. Her husband's work in progress, a concerto celebrating the unification of Europe, remains unfinished.

In an attempt to go forward with her life, Julie destroys her husband's unfinished work, puts her mansion up for sale, and buys herself an apartment in the slum district of Paris where she plans to quietly live out the remainder of her life.

She is able to return to living when she allows music to protect her from the fear she feels, from loneliness.
" Liberty.

My Opinion: When my girlfriend brought this movie home with her, I noted the French subtitles and the foreign origin, and rolled my eyes. This movie was going to be a horrible romantic comedy.

Oh. My. God. This movie is possibly the best movie ever made of all time, ever, plus ten. I have never under-estimated a movie to this extent ever before. The artistic brilliance of the director, editor, and music/sound persons... Just.. oh my god. They simply combine to create a veritable orgy of goodness.

The basic premise is a lot more complicated than the plot description leads you to beleive. "Renowned composer" isn't really doing the fellow justice - this composer, Patrice, is the husband of the main character. He also received a televised funeral and buskers play his music in the streets. This is one serious composer. I would place him in league with the classic masters, such as Bach or Chopin and the like. An interesting twist is put on this, however; Julie secretly wrote his concertos for him.

To further complicate this relationship, Patrice had a mistress of several years. Obviously the composer was not happy with his relationship with his wife, but at the same time he knew he could not profesionally survive without her. The secret tryst is once again complicated further as the mistress becomes pregnant with Patrice's child, and is found out by Julie after Patrice's death.

It reads like a soap opera, but trust me, it works. The tension between the "love triangle" is perfectly balanced and adds a third (or fourth, maybe fifth) dimension to the movie's enjoyability. Even Julie's reaction to learning all of this isn't the stereotypical hysterical woman; the acting is amazing.

The main feature of this movie is not plot nor special effects nor action sequences; instead, the whole movie's greatness relies on the artistic content, expressed both by music and by lighting. Nearly the entire movie is shrouded in shades of blue at strategic (and very artistic times), and the music is beautifully and wonderfully played at appropriate times.

O-Swirl made a brilliant statement in his writeup on this movie; "Another example of this {fantastic use of the color blue} is the pool Julie swims in once she moves out of her home. Pools are normally blue, but the incredible luminous color in this pool appears abnormally bright. The utilization of the color here directs the viewer to scan the two-dimensional space and notice how powerfully it fills the frame. Here, Julie essentially bathes in the tragedy, still swimming in the pain of the accident." This is just one example of the artistic use of colors.

The music, in my opinion, surpasses the impact of the color. At points the screen blacks out and the music perfectly defines what Julie is feeling emotionally - anger, frailty, sorrow, happiness, and more. The screen then fades back in and the film proceeds as normal, now having set the tone for you. These short music clips, mere seconds long, speak volumes about the mood and the emotions that Julie is feeling... More than any acting or narration could ever do.

In addition, there are several scenes where sheets of music are altered, torn, or thrown away - as each of these changes occur, the music changes with it. For example, there is a loud marching score currently playing. As Julie strikes out the trumpet part, the trumpets stop playing in the music. As she replaces "drums" with "bells" you can hear the change take place. You can hear the music evolve, so to speak. Wow.

For anyone who likes a good movie, I recommend you to watch this. For those that enjoy visual and audio art, for the love of all you hold holy, see this movie tonight. 10 out of 5. 17 stars. 6 thumbs up. I would pay $10 to rent this movie. I would pay $20 to see it in theatres. GO NOW.

Lead roles: Directed by: Krzysztof Kieslowski

Writing credits: Krzysztof Kieslowski and Krzysztof Piesiewicz

Tagline: Blue: Liberty
Sources: The oh-so-wonderful IMDB, my head, and the box. Special thanks to O-Swirl and his writeup of the same movie.

In 1993, a quirky film called Blue was released at art houses in selected cities. Directed by Derek Jarman, the whole film consisted of nothing more that a blue screen as a visual with a whole cornucopia of sounds playing, including music, spoken voice, and other assorted sound effects.

Blue was meant to be a portrait of the director's experience of living with AIDS and facing up to his impending death. The soundscape looks to convey his feelings about his sexuality, his shattered hopes and dreams, and his greatest fears about what's to come. With haunting music by Brian Eno among others, the 78-minute film can test the patience of the average filmgoer but some people may find a really powerful and ultimately moving story of a doomed man behind the lack of visuals.

To be honest, I had a hard time watching the film the first time because...well, I was pretty stoned at the time. However, when I was in a more lucid state, I popped the tape in again and found that the cold blue screen actually kept me more concentrated on the sounds and voices. Far too many movies rely on complicated visual wizardry and many viewers have a hard time keeping up with the marriage of the crazy action on screen and the actual dialogue (if any). With Blue, it goes to the other extreme - there really is only one thing you can do and it's to listen to the mind of a dying man.

So it begs the inevitable question - why bother with a film when it can be done as a CD? That's when the real kicker comes in...the colour blue was the last colour that the director could see before complications from AIDS made him go blind. Hence, you really are in his mind with the last memory of a colour that he visualized. The film also touches on the many meanings of the colour blue.

Jarman died in 1994, a year after the film was released. He was 52 years old.

A way to order your meat. Typically applied to beef, especially steak. I suppose it might be possible to order other meats in this manner, but I wouldn't recommend it. Essentially this is a step below rare and more or less bordering on raw. For all of you who've had to resort to asking for your meat to be cooked as little as they possibly can, or "so rare that it moos" this is likely what you want. The outside will be slightly brown, but with an inside ranging from light pink to deep red with a cold center.

I'm told that a blue steak tastes more or less like DIY sashimi arriving in one big lump.

Blue (?), a. [Compar. Bluer (?); superl. Bluest.] [OE. bla, blo, blew, blue, Sw. bl, D. blauw, OHG. blo, G. blau; but influenced in form by F. bleu, from OHG. blao.]

1.

Having the color of the clear sky, or a hue resembling it, whether lighter or darker; as, the deep, blue sea; as blue as a sapphire; blue violets.

"The blue firmament."

Milton.

2.

Pale, without redness or glare, -- said of a flame; hence, of the color of burning brimstone, betokening the presence of ghosts or devils; as, the candle burns blue; the air was blue with oaths.

3.

Low in spirits; melancholy; as, to feel blue.

4.

Suited to produce low spirits; gloomy in prospect; as, thongs looked blue.

[Colloq.]

5.

Severe or over strict in morals; gloom; as, blue and sour religionists; suiting one who is over strict in morals; inculcating an impracticable, severe, or gloomy mortality; as, blue laws.

6.

Literary; -- applied to women; -- an abbreviation of bluestocking.

[Colloq.]

The ladies were very blue and well informed. Thackeray.

Blue asbestus. See Crocidolite. -- Blue black, of, or having, a very dark blue color, almost black. -- Blue blood. See under Blood. -- Blue buck Zool., a small South African antelope (Cephalophus pygmaeus); also applied to a larger species (Aegoceras leucophaeus); the blaubok. -- Blue cod Zool., the buffalo cod. -- Blue crab Zool., the common edible crab of the Atlantic coast of the United States (Callinectes hastatus). -- Blue curls Bot., a common plant (Trichostema dichotomum), resembling pennyroyal, and hence called also bastard pennyroyal. -- Blue devils, apparitions supposed to be seen by persons suffering with delirium tremens; hence, very low spirits. "Can Gumbo shut the hall door upon blue devils, or lay them all in a red sea of claret?" Thackeray. -- Blue gage. See under Gage, a plum. -- Blue gum, an Australian myrtaceous tree (Eucalyptus globulus), of the loftiest proportions, now cultivated in tropical and warm temperate regions for its timber, and as a protection against malaria. The essential oil is beginning to be used in medicine. The timber is very useful. See Eucalyptus. -- Blue jack, Blue stone, blue vitriol; sulphate of copper. -- Blue jacket, a man-of war's man; a sailor wearing a naval uniform. -- Blue jaundice. See under Jaundice. -- Blue laws, a name first used in the eighteenth century to describe certain supposititious laws of extreme rigor reported to have been enacted in New Haven; hence, any puritanical laws. [U. S.] -- Blue light, a composition which burns with a brilliant blue flame; -- used in pyrotechnics and as a night signal at sea, and in military operations. -- Blue mantle Her., one of the four pursuivants of the English college of arms; -- so called from the color of his official robes. -- Blue mass, a preparation of mercury from which is formed the blue pill. McElrath. -- Blue mold, or mould, the blue fungus (Aspergillus glaucus) which grows on cheese. Brande & C. -- Blue Monday, a Monday following a Sunday of dissipation, or itself given to dissipation (as the Monday before Lent). -- Blue ointment Med., mercurial ointment. -- Blue Peter British Marine, a blue flag with a white square in the center, used as a signal for sailing, to recall boats, etc. It is a corruption of blue repeater, one of the British signal flags. -- Blue pill. Med. (a) A pill of prepared mercury, used as an aperient, etc. (b) Blue mass. -- Blue ribbon. (a) The ribbon worn by members of the order of the Garter; -- hence, a member of that order. (b) Anything the attainment of which is an object of great ambition; a distinction; a prize. "These [scholarships] were the blue ribbon of the college." Farrar. (c) The distinctive badge of certain temperance or total abstinence organizations, as of the Blue ribbon Army. -- Blue ruin, utter ruin; also, gin. [Eng. Slang] Carlyle. -- Blue spar Min., azure spar; lazulite. See Lazulite. -- Blue thrush Zool., a European and Asiatic thrush (Petrocossyphus cyaneas). -- Blue verditer. See Verditer. -- Blue vitriol Chem., sulphate of copper, a violet blue crystallized salt, used in electric batteries, calico printing, etc. -- Blue water, the open ocean. -- To look blue, to look disheartened or dejected. -- True blue, genuine and thorough; not modified, nor mixed; not spurious; specifically, of uncompromising Presbyterianism, blue being the color adopted by the Covenanters.

For his religion . . . 'T was Presbyterian, true blue. Hudibras.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blue (?), n.

1.

One of the seven colors into which the rays of light divide themselves, when refracted through a glass prism; the color of the clear sky, or a color resembling that, whether lighter or darker; a pigment having such color. Sometimes, poetically, the sky.

2.

A pedantic woman; a bluestocking.

[Colloq.]

3. pl. [Short for blue devils.]

Low spirits; a fit of despondency; melancholy.

[Colloq.]

Berlin blue, Prussian blue. -- Mineral blue. See under Mineral. -- Prussian blue. See under Prussian.

 

© Webster 1913.


Blue, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Blued (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Bluing.]

To make blue; to dye of a blue color; to make blue by heating, as metals, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.