The boots of striding and springing are a common magical item found in many fantasy role-playing games.

Have you ever been walking along in the forest, minding your own business, when all of a sudden, you said to yourself, "I want to hop around like a wounded bunny!"? If so, then these boots are for you.

The wearer of these boots can walk for up to 12 hours per day without tiring, and can leap incredible distances. A standing long jump of 30 feet is easily achieved.

These boots seem best suited to troublemakers, and other rogue type characters, as their main use seems to be in running away. Although with a lot of practice you can learn how to hop up to someone, hit them, and then hop away, all in one motion (this makes the boots at least somewhat combat effective).

These particular boots are usually of soft leather, and will expand to fit any size foot.

This is only my interpretation of this item, which is based largely upon its use in the older versions of the Dungeons & Dragons series of games. Your boots may turn you into a rabbit on the 7th hop, or be different in some other way. To be totally safe, you should read the instructions. < TBBKs note About my RPG nodes My RPG nodes are usually based upon material in the various AD&D rulebooks. But they are my own work, as I often expand the information (and in some cases plain disagree with the source material). None of them are cut and paste. You are free to use my descriptions in any material of your own (even commercial material), as long as I am given some sort of credit. >

In Dungeons and Dragons Third Edition, these boots have changed quite a bit. I almost find them a necessity for any halfling character (in my case, a rogue named Calloway). Their effects seem a lot less exciting than the old first/second edition version, but they are tremendous.

First, they allow you to double your movement rate. (Halflings, which move at 20' per round can now move at 40' per round, which is faster than the unenhanced human of 30'... Very nice.) Then they give a +10 competence bonus to your jump skill. Finally, they remove the restriction of jumping distance that was related to your height. I had a poor little halfling that discovered that rule when he found that his natural 20 still wouldn't save him, since he was 2" too short (as a character) to be able to make it from building A to building B. Ouch.

The reason that the boots are quite so powerful is that movement in the new system is extremely important. There's some definite strategy in the new edition of D&D, and you want to place yourself on the map in the best fighting location you can. (And if you need to run, being able to outpace your opponent is nice.) The original price was 2,500 gold pieces, but when they discovered the many many uses, they increased the price to 6,000 gp. (They did similar things with Wings of Flying and all other wonderous magical items which increase your speed.)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.