Back to CSS1 Reference | CSS1 Properties
Prev background-repeat | Next border-bottom


Property
border
Values
<border-width>, <border-style>, <color>
Initial
not defined for shorthand properties
Inherited
no

The 'border' property is a shorthand property for setting the same width, color and style on all four borders of an element. For example, the first rule below is equivalent to the set of four rules shown after it:

      P { border: solid red }
      P {
      border-top: solid red;
      border-right: solid red;
      border-bottom: solid red;
      border-left: solid red
      }

Unlike the shorthands 'margin' and 'padding' properties, the 'border' property cannot set different values on the four borders. To do so, one or more of the other border properties must be used.

Since the properties to some extent have overlapping functionality, the order in which the rules are specified becomes important. Consider this example:

      BLOCKQUOTE {
      border-color: red;
      border-left: double
      color: black;
      }

In the above example, the color of the left border will be black, while the other borders are red. This is due to 'border-left' setting the width, style and color. Since the color value is not specified on the 'border-left' property, it will be taken from the 'color' property. The fact that the 'color' property is set after the 'border-left' property is not relevant.

Note that while the 'border-width' property accepts up to four length values, this property only accepts one.

Bor"der (?), n. [OE. bordure, F. bordure, fr. border to border, fr. bord a border; of German origin; cf. MHG. borte border, trimming, G. borte trimming, ribbon; akin to E. board in sense 8. See Board, n., and cf. Bordure.]

1.

The outer part or edge of anything, as of a garment, a garden, etc.; margin; verge; brink.

Upon the borders of these solitudes. Bentham.

In the borders of death. Barrow.

2.

A boundary; a frontier of a state or of the settled part of a country; a frontier district.

3.

A strip or stripe arranged along or near the edge of something, as an ornament or finish.

4.

A narrow flower bed.

Border land, land on the frontiers of two adjoining countries; debatable land; -- often used figuratively; as, the border land of science. -- The Border, The Borders, specifically, the frontier districts of Scotland and England which lie adjacent. -- Over the border, across the boundary line or frontier.

Syn. -- Edge; verge; brink; margin; brim; rim; boundary; confine.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bor"der, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Bordered (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Bordering.]

1.

To touch at the edge or boundary; to be contiguous or adjacent; -- with on or upon as, Connecticut borders on Massachusetts.

2.

To approach; to come near to; to verge.

Wit which borders upon profaneness deserves to be branded as folly. Abp. Tillotson.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bor"der, v. t.

1.

To make a border for; to furnish with a border, as for ornament; as, to border a garment or a garden.

2.

To be, or to have, contiguous to; to touch, or be touched, as by a border; to be, or to have, near the limits or boundary; as, the region borders a forest, or is bordered on the north by a forest.

The country is bordered by a broad tract called the "hot region." Prescott.

Shebah and Raamah . . . border the sea called the Persian gulf. Sir W. Raleigh.

3.

To confine within bounds; to limit.

[Obs.]

That nature, which contemns its origin, Can not be bordered certain in itself. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.