BP - "Beyond Petroleum" (and yes, I am aware that the actual name of the company is now BP, not Beyond Petroleum. I am simply refering to the tagline they used in their commercials.) According to their website, they are attempting to find new, more enviromentaly safe while still profitable new technologies in the fields of petrochemicals, solar power, oil, and natural gas. The whole idea of safer extraction techniques, improved refinment techniques, and investigation of new energy sources seems really intresting, and I hope something good comes out of BP.

Among ballplayers, an abbreviation for batting practice. Pronounced just like the letters. Batting practice usually starts soon after the gates to the park officially open, and on off-days when the team isn't travelling. A big cage is erected around the plate, and the pitcher, usually a coach or a rehabbing pitcher, throws off the mound from behind a screen, with the intent of throwing pitches to hit. Good batting practice pitchers get rewarded with trips to the All-Star Game to pitch bp during the Home Run Contest. Some examples of usage:

     "Nomar always shows up to the ballpark early to get some extra BP in."

     "Dravecky threw BP yesterday, but it will be some time before he returns to the Giants' rotation."

     "The fans at Busch Stadium were delighted by Mark McGwire's gargantuan blasts during the Cardinals' pre-game BP session."

     "The way Lima's pitching tonight, it's gotta be like BP for these Mets hitters."

BP = before present, used with distant dates such as 50 000 BP. When used with radiocarbon dates, which don't go back that far, it is necessary to fix a 'present': so it means 1950.

BP = British Pharmacopoeia. On packets of drugs in Britain the active ingredients are named as e.g. aspirin BP, meaning that this is the name it's officially known to British pharmacists as.

BP = British Petroleum

Bp = Bishop, but only real ones, not chess ones.

bp = birthplace; or boiling point; or blood pressure; or base pairs (i.e. distance along a stretch of DNA)

bp or b/p or B/P = bills payable

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.