A type of sword with a blade length of ~27"-36" that is wielded with one hand. It has a straight single-edged blade and is sure as hell NOT a claymore, which is a type of two-handed sword. One made of decent quality high carbon steel will weigh in around 2-3.5 pounds. The main difference between a broadsword and a longsword is that a longsword has a double-edged blade. One of the well-known types of broadswords is the Scottish basket-hilted broadsword, sometimes mistakenly called a basket-hilted claymore.

Broadsword is a term incorrectly used to refer to a large group of great swords, war swords and long swords. This term was most likely brought about in early-Renaissance times when the noblemen would carry much skinnier one sided swords meant only for show whereas the warrior class would carry much broader fighting swords. This term was propagated by many RPG's including D&D. Even though broadsword is a widely accepted term nowadays and does describe the size of some sword blades, it is for all intents and purposes an incorrect term in respect to a sword class and should be avoided.

For any hobbyist RPG programmers out there I suggest doing heavy research on medieval life (if that's the time frame of the game, obviously) before copying from the mistakes of previous games. Anyway it's all interesting stuff and having an in-depth knowledge of the time should make the overall game much richer, but I'm gonna stop now cuz I'm going way off topic for this writeup. Just stop using the term broadsword to refer to a sword class! Heh.

Broad"sword` (?), n.

A sword with a broad blade and a cutting edge; a claymore.

I heard the broadsword's deadly clang. Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.