Brown a slang term in england for the drug heroin. This is sometimes abbreviated further to "B" or "Bees".

Brown, the color produced when certain substances -- wood or paper, for example -- are scorched or partially burned. Brown is not one of the primary colors of the spectrum. It is composed of red and yellow, with black, the negation of color. It is also the name of a genus of colors, of which the typical species is ordinary brown, tinged with grayish or blackish. The other species are chestnut brown, deep brown, bright brown, rusty, cinnamon, red brown, rufous, glandaceous, liver colored, sooty, and lurid.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

Back when I was much younger, brown wasn’t a very positive color. The first image that would come to mind was that of festering dung, or maybe the swampy muck that would build up around our block during the tropical season. When my family moved to the beach, brown disappeared from our lives. Our apartment was white, and looked out over red rooftops, blue water, blue skies, red sunsets, and lots of green garnishing the streets in between. The brown we did have was stately: a wooden armoire, or leather shoes.

Not too long after that, I moved into Murphree Hall, the brownest place in all of Gainesville. Brown floors greeted you when you came in. The walls, the curtains, the furniture... all brown. I frantically put up posters to try to cover up the brownness around me, and even then I would find myself staying out of my room, trying to escape the brownness as best I could.

Then, in the dog days of August, one of my old friends was getting married in Phoenix, a city I had never been to that lay halfway across the country, on the other side of miles and miles of rednecks, oil derricks, and cotton fields. As our plane descended out of the clouds, I looked out the window, and saw nothing but brown. The scorched desert earth was a pale shade of brown as far as the eye could see, broken here and there by dark brown mountains and brown tracks of silt from long-deceased rivers.

The airport was brown. The highway from the airport was marked with brown signs, and surrounded with brown tile patterns sunken into brown sand. The hotel was brown, and all the other buildings were brown. I looked around the city, and imagined that it grew from the brown sands of the desert, without the labor of brown human hands.

The wedding took place in a big sandy brown temple that looked more like one of Saddam Hussein’s palaces than a place of worship. It was surrounded by deep green grass, carefully manicured to look completely out of place within the brown surroundings. To my eyes, the grass was beautiful: I felt sorry to leave it behind.

Later that night, as the reception was going on indoors, I sat out in the back yard with a girl, and we clambered up on top of the shed to watch the sun go down. As it set into the horizon, the sky turned yellow, then red, and the brown sands of the desert followed it in turn, turning yellow, then red, until all that was left was the black of the night sky, and the stillness of the hot, dry air, and her brown hair.

I kissed her goodnight as the night turned late, letting my hands run through that brown hair once more. Then, I stepped into a brown taxi to ride down the brown freeway to the brown airport, and I gave my brown ticket to a brown agent who pointed me up a brown corridor.

As our plane climbed away and passed through the clouds once more, I looked down on the brown that stretched on and on, seemingly forever, and I wondered if I would miss it. The clouds took over, and the world became blue. Now, that brown only lives in my heart, and it is so beautiful indeed.

Brown (?), a. [Compar. Browner (?); superl. Brownest.] [OE. brun, broun, AS. brn; akin to D. bruin, OHG. brn, Icel. brnn, Sw. brun, Dan. bruun, G. braun, Lith. brunas, Skr. babhru. 93, 253. Cf. Bruin, Beaver, Burnish, Brunette.]

Of a dark color, of various shades between black and red or yellow.

Cheeks brown as the oak leaves. Longfellow.

Brown Bess, the old regulation flintlock smoothbore musket, with bronzed barrel, formerly used in the British army. -- Brown bread (a) Dark colored bread; esp. a kind made of unbolted wheat flour, sometimes called in the United States Graham bread. "He would mouth with a beggar though she smelt brown bread and garlic." Shak. (b) Dark colored bread made of rye meal and Indian meal, or of wheat and rye or Indian; rye and Indian bread. [U.S.] -- Brown coal, wood coal. See Lignite. -- Brown hematite or Brown iron ore Min., the hydrous iron oxide, limonite, which has a brown streak. See Limonite. -- Brown holland. See under Holland. -- Brown paper, dark colored paper, esp. coarse wrapping paper, made of unbleached materials. -- Brown spar Min., a ferruginous variety of dolomite, in part identical with ankerite. -- Brown stone. See Brownstone. -- Brown stout, a strong kind of proter or malt liquor. -- Brown study, a state of mental abstraction or serious reverie.

W. Irving.

 

© Webster 1913.


Brown, n.

A dark color inclining to red or yellow, resulting from the mixture of red and black, or of red, black, and yellow; a tawny, dusky hue.

 

© Webster 1913.


Brown, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Browned (#); p. pr. & vb. n. Browning.]

1.

To make brown or dusky.

A trembling twilight o'er welkin moves,Browns the dim void and darkens deep the groves. Barlow.

2.

To make brown by scorching slightly; as, to brown meat or flour.

3.

To give a bright brown color to, as to gun barrels, by forming a thin coat of oxide on their surface.

Ure.

 

© Webster 1913.


Brown, v. i.

To become brown.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.