A sweet, Scottish dessert made from butter and sugar. The roots of the scotch half of the name, unfortunately, are a mystery, lost in the sands of Scottish time. The approximate year in which the desert was invented is also unknown. The flavor has been popular, though, for a very long time. It is even one of the original seven flavors of Dum-Dum lollipops

Butterscotch typically comes in two forms: hard candy and butterscotch sauce. For convenience, I’ve listed recipes for both types here. Personally, I don’t think there is anything better than hot butterscotch over a bowl of vanilla ice cream.


Butterscotch Sauce
Yields 2 cups

Ingredients:

Mix all ingredients into a saucepan. On medium heat, wait for the mixture to boil, stirring constantly. Boil for about two minutes while stirring. After two minutes, remove from the heat and let the mixture cool. If using over ice cream, microwave until hot before serving.


Butterscotch Candy
Yields 1 pound

Ingredients:

Mix the water and lemon juice in a saucepan and heat until slightly warm. While still heating at a low temperature, stir in the sugar with a wooden spoon until it has been thoroughly dissolved.

Stir in the cream of tartar and bring the mixture to a boil. When a teaspoon of the mixture forms a soft ball when dropped into a cup of cold water, remove from heat.

Beat in the butter. Return to the heat and boil until a teaspoon of the mixture forms a thin thread when dropped into a cup of cold water.

Once done heating, remove and add the vanilla. Pour into an oiled tin and let the mixture cool slightly, but not completely. If you want to cut the butterscotch into nice pieces this is your chance. Otherwise, wait until it is completely cooled and hit it against something to break it up.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.