Oh no, it's a very bad idea to inhale Canned Air. Canned Air (or, more technically, "Compressed Gas Duster") is typically made of either difluoroethane or tetrafluoroethane—either of which is Not Good For Your Health™ when inhaled. It can do some simple asphyxiation, could probably poison you, and if you're not careful you could end up spilling some of the compressed liquid out—freezing your mouth and lungs. Avoid such actions.

A side note, I prefer tetrafluoroethane to difluoroethane, as its chemical stench is, for some reason, not nearly as strong.


200th node! Rock over London, Rock on Chicago!

Some young people have discovered huffing canned air products effectively turns them into an inexpensive, widely-available, and legally-obtainable recreational drug. As with permanent markers, some varieties of glue and certain solvents, compressed gas dusters are a member of the "inhalant" category. As inferred above, this is extremely dangerous, and can result in brain damage or death.

The ONDCP would probably suggest that you keep your cans of toxic air in a secure location, away from children. Your children would probably suggest that this is either unnecessary, or futile.

I know from personal experience that it is possible to deliberately release the propellant by discharging a can upside-down. This propellant is notable because it is extremely cold, and will form a kind of foamy, frost-like residue on whatever it touches. You should probably only try this in a well-ventilated area, since I have no idea what that propellant is made of.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.